Best Sump contents for eating NitrAtes

Jaydog

I am by no means an expert here but I use a cleanup crew of about 15 hermet crabs, a scooter blenny and two snails in my 55gal setup. I would like to add a little more sand sifting but they do a pretty good job. I got my hermets at my LFS for around 10 for $10.00. It was cheap enough too. Good luck.

lcstorc

If the sump is that close to being done then I would agree with finishing that first. While you are waiting for your own RO/DI you can buy the water from your LFS or even Distilled water from the grocery. Then save for and get your own unit which will save you money and time in the long run. Even at the very beginning a sump adds water volume which will help to dilute the nitrates.
Personally I do not use crabs in my cleanup crew. Many do but I just found them killing too many snails for my liking. My cleanup crew consists of lots of various snails. If you do some google searches you will find that there are many types of snails that do different jobs. Nassarius snails for example keep the sandbed stirred as well as eating leftover food etc.
I have a number of shrimp as well but I really don't count them as cleaners since I feed the tank so much. They eat when the fishies eat.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with Lynn. I don't count my cleaner shrimp as clean up because I directly feed him (just because he's cool to watch eating).

I rely a heavily on snails. Right now I have 150+ in my tank of various kinds.

Lee

If the sump is that close to being done then I would agree with finishing that first. While you are waiting for your own RO/DI you can buy the water from your LFS or even Distilled water from the grocery. Then save for and get your own unit which will save you money and time in the long run. Even at the very beginning a sump adds water volume which will help to dilute the nitrates.
Personally I do not use crabs in my cleanup crew. Many do but I just found them killing too many snails for my liking. My cleanup crew consists of lots of various snails. If you do some google searches you will find that there are many types of snails that do different jobs. Nassarius snails for example keep the sandbed stirred as well as eating leftover food etc.
I have a number of shrimp as well but I really don't count them as cleaners since I feed the tank so much. They eat when the fishies eat.

I'm probably just going to buy an RO unit this week... I just don't have anything set up for it yet, so i'll just have to tap a line and fill a few buckets as needed for a few weeks.

When I finish the sump, I'd like to build something more permanent with storage bins with spigot drains, auto top offs, etc.

Lee

I think I need some of those. I get lots of hair algae on the sand if the lights are on longer than 9 hours a day. I had 2 crabs, and they murdered like 3 snails a piece, so they got the boot... And yeah I didn't think the shrimps counted... Mine don't do anything at all. I don't even know if they're still alive.

DaveK

Well you're right, but its an ongoing process. If I had an unlimited budget, I would just buy all the best equipment and be done with it. But thats not the case, so I look at the aquarium, figure out what could be improved, and decide how to improve it. Right now, filtration and water are the biggest bottlenecks, so I'm working to improve them. I'm not asking for a quick and easy solution to minimizing nitrates, I am just doing things one step at a time, and asking for advice to make those steps as effective as possible.

yes, this is the task at hand. I have the drain and return plumbed, I'm cutting glass baffles for the sump/fuge now, and I'm trying to figure out what to put in the fuge.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 sizes of the Aqua C Remora skimmer; I do have the larger of the two, the Remora Pro. When I have the sump plumbed inline, I'll have more room to upgrade to a larger skimmer if thats necessary.

I did not know this, I'll take this into consideration; maybe lower the sand level a bit. Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had to do everything at once.

Yes, it is desirable to get the most "bang for the buck". The problem is that unless you start with water that has 0 nitrates, they are almost impossible to control. This is why so many people recommend first getting an RO/DI unit.

Glad to see you are making progress on a sump. They will help.

I would still consider the AquaC Remora Pro too small for the size tank you have. It is a good skimmer, just too small, so it will work. I think you'll find a larger skimmer will do a lot, but you do have to consider that it will take up more space, and like everythign else in this hobby cost a lot more.

lcstorc

That would be perfect. Great price as well.
I am having a hard time not buying it just for a spare. :)
It would be great on your system. Check out the footprint and make sure it will fit.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto! I have that skimmer and it freaking ROCKS!! Couldn't be easier to use either! Just wish the skimmate would come out smelling like Vanilla :)

framerguy

Just wish the skimmate would come out smelling like Vanilla :)
:laughrollDon't we all Al, don't we all!

Lot's of great advice going on in this thread. Anyone looking to reduce nitrates will benefit from it.

I like the way you handled RCPilot's post. You could have gotten angry but didn't ... karma to you!

Lee

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had to do everything at once.

Yes, it is desirable to get the most "bang for the buck". The problem is that unless you start with water that has 0 nitrates, they are almost impossible to control. This is why so many people recommend first getting an RO/DI unit.

Glad to see you are making progress on a sump. They will help.

I would still consider the AquaC Remora Pro too small for the size tank you have. It is a good skimmer, just too small, so it will work. I think you'll find a larger skimmer will do a lot, but you do have to consider that it will take up more space, and like everythign else in this hobby cost a lot more.

I gotcha. I started typing this thread the other day to get recommendations for the fuge contents to help consume nitrates, because I don't think my system had anything that was eating nitrates at all. Then, when I was just about to post the thread, I decided to test my tap water, and sure enough, 20ppm. I realize that this makes an RO unit even more important, but I still want to get nitrate eaters in my sump. I know what to do with the RO unit; buy one, install it, and use it. But I still didn't know what to put in the sump/fuge.

And about the skimmer, the only real reason that I have the Remora C and nothing better is because I needed a hang on skimmer, and the Remora C is widely praised. My sump will have a skimmer chamber, so at that point, I'll probably consider upgrading.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My sump will have a skimmer chamber, so at that point, I'll probably consider upgrading.

sounds like a SOLID plan to me. I do offer one bit of advice.... plan AHEAD for the skimmer and make your skimmer compartment MORE than big enough. I had my SUMP made way before I got to buying a skimmer. I had one HECK of a time finding a skimmer that would fit in the area allowed. I was VERY lucky in that the skimmer I really wanted just happened to fit in the area allowed. LUCKY!!!

Lee

I like the way you handled RCPilot's post. You could have gotten angry but didn't ... karma to you!

LOL! You liked that? The Judge, my parole officer, and my therapist said I needed to exhibit more self control, so I've been trying harder. :bluemad: (just kidding)