Best Skimmer

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
How can you say that? The only thing that is the same is the basic shape, all aspects of the engine. electronics, suspension, aerodynamics, ect ect ect have changed drastically from the ol T bucket.

nos2074

LOL if you really think about it cars have not changed that much sense the model T we now just have more options.

options that weren't there for the model T. Therefore they have changed. Even the motors are different. Same principle but work different.

Same as skimmers. The principle is the same but not the unit itself.

saltyguy52

Skimmer have changed a lot in 15 years. I remember what my skimmer looked like and how they worked back then; that's like saying cars haven't changed since the Model T. My skimmer back then was a counter current skimmer with a wooden airstone and a huge air pump.

I have always thought the statement that skimmers only remove 30% of the DOCs misleading. Skimmers use air to bond with dissolved organics that have an affinity with oxygen. If you have an organic that does not have an affinity for oxygen; it won't get skimmed. The statement is rather meaningless to me as it lumps all organics together.

Skimmers pull out organics before they enter the nitrogen cycle. So pulling out the organics faster is what you want. That, and using less electricity and as most skimmers are in the sump, transferring less heat, is what an efficient skimmer is all about. Faster, cheaper, cooler.

You say your skimmer pulls more air than a needlewheel; how much does it pull do you know?

And most of the skimmers being discussed do not use needlewheels.
I'm not going to argue with any one about this matter, it is one of the only proven facts about skimmers is that they can only pull 30% of the doc's out as not all organic compounds will latch onto the the bubbles and be tranfered out. Some of the earlier skimmers like the airstone ones had the right idea but didnt move enough water through them and i would suppose they were not efficient. Any one (manufacturer) that would be honest with you in private will tell you the same as one did tell me that they have not changed in the method just the shapes and of course colors, more efficient motors, but its not worth the cost IMO. As far as venturi/ injector air delivery I will check to make sure, but the Mazzeri 1" can deliver over 300 scfh with a good size pump, thats why your really large skimmers use injectors not big cone shaped ones with multiple pumps or neddle/meshed wheels. Didnt know there is anything out there besides these types.

BLAKEJOHN

LOL if you really think about it cars have not changed that much sense the model T we now just have more options.

I have to agree here. But rephrase it. The combustion engine has not changed since its first inception. It may have been improved upon but still remains the same.

I think that is what they were getting at.

saltyguy52

I do say of course a skimmer should be app. sized though and the swx and the like are good units other than some of the Italian pumps

Goober35

options that weren't there for the model T. Therefore they have changed. Even the motors are different. Same principle but work different.

Same as skimmers. The principle is the same but not the unit itself.

And thats my point.

Skimmers have changed in shave and size and even motors. But they all work by putting small air bubbles into the water to pulls out the crap.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Goober I was just ribbing :) the suck, bang, blow theory of the internal combustion motor remains the same. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Lets get this thread back on topic please.

Saltyguy52, your information is coming from an article recently posted on reefkeeping magazine if I am not mistaken. I posted a question there asking why they did not include a Beckett skimmer in that write up but I have no received my answer yet.
After trying many skimmers out over the years the Beckett style skimmers seem to pull more doc's then any other skimmer I have tried. It would be great to get some numbers on Beckett skimmers compared to needle wheels. I think everyone would be surprised at the results.

edit: I have looked for that article but cannot find it. If you could post where you got your information from I would appreciate it. I am sure we read the same write up.
The problem with needle wheel skimmers and counter current (I won't even waste my time with airstones)
is the bubbles. Those skimmers only smash the bubbles and bubble size is random.
With a Beckett injector your actually slicing the air as the water runs through the Beckett. the smaller the holes the smaller the bubble that is sliced off.
Also there are no fact's about the amount of doc's being pulled from skimmers. just what they were able to pull from the skimmers that were used in that test project.
Also the tests were not done on reef tanks or in a lab but tanks filled with water containing high amounts of doc's and then measured over a period of time the amount the skimmers were able to pull down. By a hobbyist.
Not a perfect review IMO.

Last edited:

Trademark

You might be able to get a 1,000 dol skimmer close to your budget buying used, check ebay I have found great deals on there and research the product first to see if its going to work, good luck

saltyguy52

Take this for what its worth: the only true way you can measure what a skimmer pulls out of your water is weigh the skimmate once it dries, that would be raw doc's and nothing else, and I dont see any manuf. out there advertizing that way, only lph or scfh. Most skimmers will change the way it skims by the surrounding air quality so there's too many variables, but for that problem connect your air tube high in the collection cup, the air is always the same in there. That info mentioned before was from a man in Atlanta that does research for a skimmer manuf. but he never would tell me which one.

saltyguy52

You might be able to get a 1,000 dol skimmer close to your budget buying used, check ebay I have found great deals on there and research the product first to see if its going to work, good luck

+ 1 I try to buy used all the time, I like someone else to take the plunge for me. lol

saltyguy52

I am setting up a 300 gallon system (240gal tank 70gal fuge) and am wondering what is the best protein skimmer to use. My only problem is that my budget is around $350 not including shipping. What do you suggest?

Now that we got you all discombobulated about skimmers, just buy a decent name brand one rated for atleast your tanks size and you should be fine. One guy I talked to ran a MSX-300 on a 1000+ tank and he said it was very satisfactory and was no novice

Frankie

RS STAFF
Take this for what its worth: the only true way you can measure what a skimmer pulls out of your water is weigh the skimmate once it dries, that would be raw doc's and nothing else, and I dont see any manuf. out there advertizing that way, only lph or scfh. Most skimmers will change the way it skims by the surrounding air quality so there's too many variables, but for that problem connect your air tube high in the collection cup, the air is always the same in there. That info mentioned before was from a man in Atlanta that does research for a skimmer manuf. but he never would tell me which one.

That is good thinking about letting it dry out and weighing it. The problem I have with most of these tests is the method in which it is being applied.
Also, dosing needs to be taken into account with skimmers.
When building a system knowing the products your going to use needs to be taken into the factor also.
The amount of fish waste, food, water changes and supplements all change the ability of a skimmer.
Used skimmers work just as good as when they were new. I agree that buying used is smart reefing.
Good conversation everyone :thumbup:

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
To thow in my 2 cents, two of the measures for a skimmers performance are how big are the bubbles being created, and how much air is drawn. This is information every manufacturer should be able to provide

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
edit: I have looked for that article but cannot find it. If you could post where you got your information from I would appreciate it. I am sure we read the same write up.

The problem with needle wheel skimmers and counter current (I won't even waste my time with airstones) is the bubbles. Those skimmers only smash the bubbles and bubble size is random.

Also the tests were not done on reef tanks or in a lab but tanks filled with water containing high amounts of doc's and then measured over a period of time the amount the skimmers were able to pull down. By a hobbyist.
Not a perfect review IMO.

I don't know the reefkeeping magazine article; here is the original one from Advanced Aquarist Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: The Development of a Method for the Quantitative Evaluation of Protein Skimmer Performance

I find the same faults and think that you can't draw any conclusions from the testing but it is informative still.

I would counter to your statement on the needlewheels with the problem I find with becketts is maintenance. I can work long hours and it doesn't fit in with that. Which just underscores that there is no such thing as a best or perfect skimmer - you need to find the best fit for you.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm getting the Xtreme 250 1a and if that doesn't cover all my overkill needs, I don't know what will :)