Best Skimmer

reef keeper

I have been going over this Question of over a year and still have not bought one. I'm scared to spend a large amount of coin on a useless skimmer(to which I have done before). I considered a Deltec or the Octopus Extreme series. One is around &1000.00 and the other is around $500.00. I am limited. Most brands that have been mentioned on this thread I have never heard of. The thing I like to do is shop locally. This way you get First hand help If you have a warranty issue. Plus the LFS need you business to stay in the business.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Unfortunately for most people the LFS only carry a limited line of skimmers and most are junk IME.

The simple fact is that the best most productive skimmers on the market come from Germany, Italy or Austria.

~Michael

I would throw in Canada too. I think SWC has a good line

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Did I look in the wrong place or is it$1200 for the small internal model?

I'll pass :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was checking out the $2000 one ;)
Not that I would ever spend that much on a skimmer. I could build it perfectly for $800.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Holy....

If I spent that much I would put it on a pedestal with a glass cover and just admire it from time to time :)

"Off topic for just a second"

Frankie if I was to get a new skimmer is the $500-$600 range for a 170 gallon DT tank, what would you recommend?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Maybe after I am done playing with my current skimmers I will step up to a newer design :)

saltyguy52

I've talked (via email) to a few people that have done exstensive research and data keeping on skimmers and one has built many cone skimmers and as far as I see is a expert on the cones and he doesnt have to push to sell his product since he does not sell them to the public and have said the skimmers have not changed the way they skim in 15 years. They all can only pull 30% of the doc's that are in the water as you know and the so called "best skimmer" on the market cant do any better other than do it a little faster like 5% so is it worth spending 1k for a skimmer like that or 400 that will do the job. I do agree these higher price skimmers are more energy efficient but I still dont see the savings buying them, but if you have the money and have to have the lastest design, brand, well? Its also strange there is no industry standard on skimmers dont you think? Anyone can say anything about there skimmer and who can say otherwise unless like someone else said you have tried 20 different brands. I just bought a skimmer (used) that looks very much like a Lifereef VS3-48 with a Mazzei injector and a Little Giant # 4 pump and it draws more air than needle wheel pumps any day, but they draw alittle more electric. You can find a good used one on RC here that will do your job just fine at your price range.:thumbup:

saltyguy52

Here's a pic of mine.
DSCN0271.jpg

saltyguy52

They were custom by a place in Mo. that went out of buisness a couple of years ago. The place was called are you ready? " Now Playing with Fish" they are real close to a Reeflife which is a good quality skimmer and made in Colorado, U.S.A. and Jeff the owner is a great guy that will answer all questions.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Let me see if I got this right you claim that skimmer will do the same as the $1k deltect skimmer just uses more electricity?

I need some help understanding how that is possible. Not that I doubt what you say just trying to understand.

Thanks

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I've talked (via email) to a few people that have done exstensive research and data keeping on skimmers and one has built many cone skimmers and as far as I see is a expert on the cones and he doesnt have to push to sell his product since he does not sell them to the public and have said the skimmers have not changed the way they skim in 15 years. They all can only pull 30% of the doc's that are in the water as you know and the so called "best skimmer" on the market cant do any better other than do it a little faster like 5% so is it worth spending 1k for a skimmer like that or 400 that will do the job. I do agree these higher price skimmers are more energy efficient but I still dont see the savings buying them, but if you have the money and have to have the lastest design, brand, well? Its also strange there is no industry standard on skimmers dont you think? Anyone can say anything about there skimmer and who can say otherwise unless like someone else said you have tried 20 different brands. I just bought a skimmer (used) that looks very much like a Lifereef VS3-48 with a Mazzei injector and a Little Giant # 4 pump and it draws more air than needle wheel pumps any day, but they draw alittle more electric. You can find a good used one on RC here that will do your job just fine at your price range.:thumbup:

Skimmer have changed a lot in 15 years. I remember what my skimmer looked like and how they worked back then; that's like saying cars haven't changed since the Model T. My skimmer back then was a counter current skimmer with a wooden airstone and a huge air pump.

I have always thought the statement that skimmers only remove 30% of the DOCs misleading. Skimmers use air to bond with dissolved organics that have an affinity with oxygen. If you have an organic that does not have an affinity for oxygen; it won't get skimmed. The statement is rather meaningless to me as it lumps all organics together.

Skimmers pull out organics before they enter the nitrogen cycle. So pulling out the organics faster is what you want. That, and using less electricity and as most skimmers are in the sump, transferring less heat, is what an efficient skimmer is all about. Faster, cheaper, cooler.

You say your skimmer pulls more air than a needlewheel; how much does it pull do you know?

And most of the skimmers being discussed do not use needlewheels.