Best sand siffter ?

Necidemos

Well, you heard the old argument to stirr your sand or not to when changing your water, right? This falls under that category. A lot of people not for stirring your sand bed is because of the nutrients and toxins will be released into your tank, which may or may not cause a crash. I've heard it's only people with deep sandbeds that have not stirred anything in a really long time then they try to stir it. I've never heard of a Diamond Goby causing this, but I guess it very well could be possible.

Maybe he was on a suicide mission. Little did you know inside his cave he had drawings of letting loose the toxic chemicals inside your sandbed to bring the demise of your tank (austin power evil laugh) muahaahahahahah...muahahahahaa...MUAHAHAHAHAHA..

All kidding aside, cindyp, I'm sorry you had such trouble with that little sucker and I do apologize about the tank crash. Nothing brings on a "SALE" quicker than a tank crash. :(

Lomu

Just read, this happens on very mature tanks that never got the sand stirred !!

I do water changes ever two weeks and siphone the hole substrate. My tank has only 5 months running, so it should be no problem for me.

Fingers crossed jeje

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I've got a DG in my 125 as well and he is awesome at keeping the sand all stirred up and I've never had a problem with him.

cindyp

I did some googling on this issue after it happened and sure enough they can cause a crash but this particular info when
researching the fish before I bought him wasn't readily available just the normal stats on the fish, I had too pardon the pun "DIG a little":)
anyhow I do vaccuum the black water from my shallow sandbed Bi weekly with my water changes.
this all took place directly after adding him there were no other fish added and no changes to anything except his digging.
like I said early I watched as he released the toxic gas bubbles by the millions and I was cringing because I knew this isn't a good thing.
he was also a mature size probably 4 inches but I never seen a fish this distructive in my life muchless one that could move that much sand in a matter of hours. just food for thought to anyone looking to get one. I didn't give up on the tank luckily I have wonderful reefer friends that helped me tear it all apart and start over and I did it quick thats probably why I did loose more than I did. here's digger the diamond goby and before and after of the tank.
BC
037-10-1.jpg

AC
024-7.jpg

015-16.jpg

Necidemos

Just read, this happens on very mature tanks that never got the sand stirred !!

I do water changes ever two weeks and siphone the hole substrate. My tank has only 5 months running, so it should be no problem for me.

Fingers crossed jeje

No, I wouldn't think that's an issue at all with only a 5 month old tank. Of course, anything can happen. :)

Lomu

Truely sorry for your loss. Most probably everyone else would have quited.

Thanks for telling your experience !

cindyp

thanks:) everything is fine now my SPS are growing like weeds and my tank is in a sweet spot.
I just wanted for anyone planning on this fish to be aware that it can happen.
did I mention one side of the tank in the mornings was atleast 10 inches deep and the other side
of the tank was exposed eggcrate? maybe this fish had ADD? anywho I swore off digging fish after that
I'll stick with Narcisuss:)

David Shaw

I have those gobies and they are fantastic little fish.

The LFS told me that they are often hard to keep by a lot of people as they tend to die from starvation, then get gobbled up by the CUC so can seem to just disappear.

They advised that feeding using pellets that then sit on the sand is really beneficial for them, also find out where they make their homes and then spot feed with a turkey baster around that opening.

I use this combo - pellets and also spot feeding via the baster - mysis, krill and marine feast, on a daily basis. This has kept mine happy and growing. Every morning the sand looks as pristine as a newly mowed lawn and incredibly clean.

I can't recommend these fish enough if you are prepared to feed and look after them thoughtfully.

cindyp

the monster I had would eat anything and everything, I feed Spectrum sinking pellets and mysis,brine and that fish didn't need spot feeding at all but then again he must have been different from the average DG. so you are saying that your sandbed is pristine and the DG is careful that none of your corals get burried or have huge mounds of sand everywhere in your tank and your water doesnt look like 2% milk? he must be a model DG?

David Shaw

I have 3 of them currently in my tank, they are yellow spotted sand sifters. They never, ever, sift substrate other than on the sand bed, they never deposit substrate on the corals (unlike the blue cheeks).

The sand is wonderfully clean and level every morning. i can't speak for others but this is my experience of them.

My water is never cloudy either, in fact it is crystal clear.

Lomu

Thank yoy Cindy and Terry.

Still on the hunt for a diamond (souds like my wife, only different price)

nightfire76

the diamond goby i had liked the cheat shrimp pellets you can get at walmart and would gobble up even the biggest ones