Best phosphate test? Hanna?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I think the Hanna phosphate test is the best out there and BRS sells them. Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

sirrealism

yes Hanna is best hands down. Check out Amazon. They have them for about 45$ shipped. Wile your at it there is also no better ALK tester then Hanna. The other parameters I like salifert but for those 2 it has to be Hanna.

Oxylebius

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I like using my Hanna Phosphate Checker and after reading the above, I think I'll get a Hanna Checkers for Calcium & Alk. I'm glad you asked Slammed01....WELCOME to posting at RS!! :thumbup:

Oxylebius

Which one is better 713 or 736? Want to order tomorrow!

Not sure if you purchased yet, but the difference is that one measures in the high range and the other two in the low range. So, it depends on what you are looking for.

The HI713 range is 0.00 to 2.50 ppm (mg/L) - if you are looking to keep phosphates as low as possible and don't need to test for anything above the 2.5 ppm, then this unit is acceptable. Better precision on this unit. The percent error is small. (Precision: ±0.04 ppm (mg/L) ±4% of reading @ 25°C )

The HI736 range is 0 to 200 ppb, untra low. Accuracy: ±5 ppb ±5% of reading. So, I suppose that if you are trying to get to a point where you have extremely low amounts, you can go with this. One thing to consider is that if your tank has more the 200ppb, you won't know the amount or how high it is b/c this unit wouldn't be able to read it.

The HI717 range is 0.0 to 30.0 ppm, so if you are battling phosphates and want to know how high they are, you may want to consider this one. The accuracy and percent error on the reading is larger on this one. (Accuracy: ±1 ppm (mg/L) ±5% of reading at 25°C). But, if you have high phosphates and are tracking them to see if they are decreasing, then perhaps this is the unit you would want to pick up.

I'm not going to come out and tell you which one to buy, but hopefully I provided enough info that you can make a decision that best suits your needs.

sirrealism

Can I ask why? It is very very hard to get P04 down under .00 and most suggest keeping your P04 at .03 You need some P04 in your system for corals to grow and have good colors. I have been using the 713 for years and run ultra low nutrient in one of my tanks and still have not found a need for the ultra low tester. But thats JMO