best/ideal reef tank size

Tru2nr

Ideally you'll want a reef ready setup as well lol :D

...My names Alex...and I'm a house-watering-aholic

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
RR is drilled and is the way to go. I agree, a 75 is the perfect starter tank with say a 20 or 29 sump. Since I have the space I like the 6' wide tank as long as you can reach the bottom without any trouble.

steved13

PREMIUM
My ideal tank would be 96" long, 32" wide, and 22" tall which would be just under 300 gallons

Willie McDaries

I found a 75 for $100 just gotta go look at. Still waiting to see if the 90 is still for sale. Thanx for all the imput. Ideas for upgrade are always welcome. Still not sure if this upgrade is a go yet....still thinking things through.

.....wet floors make me angry

I have a 90g,it has the same foot print as the 75g but is a bit taller,I like the 75g better because it doesn't need as much light power and to me,the aquascape looks better in a 75g......the 90g is a bit too tall for my liking,I'm using it as a frag/fuge tank and it is out of site so it doesn't matter what it looks like to me...I do like that the 90g has thicker glass and looks to be a much stronger built tank

blackwater

anyone know of any canadian retailers with good prices for a reef ready tank? just want to get a idea of how much a 75g rr tank would be. versus buying used and drilling it myself.

steved13

PREMIUM
:) I have 60" x 36" x 27" now too tall and too wide makes for a pain for maintenance. 27" tall is a more aesthetically pleasing size, but I'd toss aesthetics for more manageable. I've lost corals because it was just to difficult to fine tune their position.

96" x 36" x 27" is 400 gallons. at 36"x27" every foot is 50 gallons, it's the Deep dimension tank sizes :)

I just realized, I think that's the size of your tank LOL Sorry it took me a minute.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
:) I have 60" x 36" x 27" now too tall and too wide makes for a pain for maintenance. 27" tall is a more aesthetically pleasing size, but I'd toss aesthetics for more manageable. I've lost corals because it was just to difficult to fine tune their position.

96" x 36" x 27" is 400 gallons. at 36"x27" every foot is 50 gallons, it's the Deep dimension tank sizes :)

I just realized, I think that's the size of your tank LOL Sorry it took me a minute.

Cute. Welcome back :D

..........the mayor has spoken

Willie McDaries

:LOL: yep,that's the size of my tank,but my water level is only 24" deep,I left 3" of room for a surge system that never got built....when you take the internal dimensions and calculate it up,it is about 360g

blackwater

the tanks u guys are talking about are HUGE. would love one but there is no way i can do it anytime soon. so far i like the idea of a 75g or a 90g. as for hight my freshwater tank is 24" tall so im used to a bit of hight. any taller though and i don't think i'd want it.

steved13

PREMIUM
:LOL: yep,that's the size of my tank,but my water level is only 24" deep,I left 3" of room for a surge system that never got built....when you take the internal dimensions and calculate it up,it is about 360g

:D I figured it was something like that. The standard deep dimension tanks are 36" 150G, 48" 200G, 60" 250G etc. All 36"x27"

Do you find the depth and width to be a pain for doing maintenance in the tank? The top edge of my tank is 57" with stand and all.

steved13

PREMIUM
the tanks u guys are talking about are HUGE. would love one but there is no way i can do it anytime soon. so far i like the idea of a 75g or a 90g. as for hight my freshwater tank is 24" tall so im used to a bit of hight. any taller though and i don't think i'd want it.

Yeah, just posing my dream tank size and shape, need a home that would accommodate it first :)

As has been said longer and wider is better for salt water than height.

Willie McDaries

I think you'd be happy with either of those,both make great looking displays,I just prefer the look of the 75 and it can be lit with less wattage....

my first saltwater tank was a 55g,within a week,it hadn't even started to cycle LOL,I moved it's content to a 75 and was much more pleased with the look...

the 55 just didn't have enough floor space for my rockwork,the 75 was perfect,the 90 would have been also,just taller

StirCrayzy

48x24 is an ideal footprint, can fit almost anywhere in any house.
I like 24" deep asthetics, 30" means wet armpits :eek:

blackwater

I think you'd be happy with either of those,both make great looking displays,I just prefer the look of the 75 and it can be lit with less wattage....

my first saltwater tank was a 55g,within a week,it hadn't even started to cycle LOL,I moved it's content to a 75 and was much more pleased with the look...

the 55 just didn't have enough floor space for my rockwork,the 75 was perfect,the 90 would have been also,just taller

ya i know thats why my wife is not happy with me. my 29g is only around 3 months old and now i want to go bigger before i put any more money into that tank.