best/ideal reef tank size

Willie McDaries

ya i know thats why my wife is not happy with me. my 29g is only around 3 months old and now i want to go bigger before i put any more money into that tank.

I went from a 150g DD tank to a 360g DIY plywood tank,my wife was ready to kill me....in all those days I spent building it,she never said it would never hold water but I could see the doubt in her eyes :lol: she still tries to act like she don't like it but every time we have guests here,she's the first to introduce then to the tank LOL

Tru2nr

I went from a 150g DD tank to a 360g DIY plywood tank,my wife was ready to kill me....in all those days I spent building it,she never said it would never hold water but I could see the doubt in her eyes :lol: she still tries to act like she don't like it but every time we have guests here,she's the first to introduce then to the tank LOL

funny how that works eh?

blackwater

mine didn't want even the 29g but after i got it going she loves it. i know it would be the same with a upgrade but she can't be convinced of it yet..lol

Ceece911

I always thought the 180 was nice. 6ft long (good swimming room for tangs and angels), 2ft deep (so you can have that nice aquascape with some depth), and 2ft tall (nice on the eyes and you don’t have to dive in to get to the bottom). Just my thoughts.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Standard 180 is 30" tall I believe. ?

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

blackwater

k so it seams there is a lot of good about the 75g and 90g tanks which is right where i would be able to buy. my options (wife permitting) are 1. use the 65g tank i already have(36" long x 24"tall x 18" deep) 2. look for a 75g tank. or 3. look for a 90g tank. need some help choosing. if i used my 65g would any of the equipment bought for it be able to be re-used if i upgrade again....ie, lights, skimmer. the heater i could still use and i would need more or better PH's.

steved13

PREMIUM
I always thought the 180 was nice. 6ft long (good swimming room for tangs and angels), 2ft deep (so you can have that nice aquascape with some depth), and 2ft tall (nice on the eyes and you don’t have to dive in to get to the bottom). Just my thoughts.

Standard 180 is 30" tall I believe. ?

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Not if it's 6' long and 2' deep...it has to be about 24" tall or it's more than 180?

steved13

PREMIUM

k so it seams there is a lot of good about the 75g and 90g tanks which is right where i would be able to buy. my options (wife permitting) are 1. use the 65g tank i already have(36" long x 24"tall x 18" deep) 2. look for a 75g tank. or 3. look for a 90g tank. need some help choosing. if i used my 65g would any of the equipment bought for it be able to be re-used if i upgrade again....ie, lights, skimmer. the heater i could still use and i would need more or better PH's.

All things being equal ( that means...it's your marriage :) ) if you already know you'll end up larger, do it now, before you outfit the current tank. You could tailor your purchases so they'd be forward compatible, but at that point the only additional $$ would be for the tank and maybe stand.

blackwater

all right lets say a use the 65g and buy a 6 bulb 36" light. could that be used on a 100+ gallon tank in the future? i think i have the best chance of convincing my wife if use some of what i already have, and buy with the future in mind.

steved13

PREMIUM
all right lets say a use the 65g and buy a 6 bulb 36" light. could that be used on a 100+ gallon tank in the future? i think i have the best chance of convincing my wife if use some of what i already have, and buy with the future in mind.

Not if the 100 + tank is longer than 36". Or maybe if it was 72" and you added a second fixture, for instance, or could be 60" and you add a 24"