Best Auto Top Off option

matthew46

Getting tired of manually topping off tank every night...

What is the best auto top off for a RSM130d?

How / where do you mount it and what pump do you use?

Thanks
Matthew

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm running a Tunze 3155 Osmolator (as are many others). I doubt you'll find a more dependable and complete ATO unit around. It costs a bit more but some of us bought the other brands a few times over before we got a Tunze.

AVAST
JBJ

there are many others out there. Just make sure you get one that's reliable and well built.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Lots love this one Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 - Bulk Reef Supply - YouTube

So total newbie question here, but if I buy a tunze ATO, what size reservoir am I attaching it to down below my tank? Is it just a place where I mix saltwater? do i need a heater down there? what other equipment needs to be down there? sorry, i know this is really basic but I've never used an ATO.

steved13

PREMIUM
So total newbie question here, but if I buy a tunze ATO, what size reservoir am I attaching it to down below my tank? Is it just a place where I mix saltwater? do i need a heater down there? what other equipment needs to be down there? sorry, i know this is really basic but I've never used an ATO.

You can use any size reservoir you'd like. You would top off with fresh water (no salt) the salt doesn't evaporate, only the water does. Since you're only topping off small amounts at a time there is no need for a heater. No other equipment is needed, that I can think of.

You can use any size reservoir you'd like. You would top off with fresh water (no salt) the salt doesn't evaporate, only the water does. Since you're only topping off small amounts at a time there is no need for a heater. No other equipment is needed, that I can think of.

Sorry, total brain-fart on my part (I know to only top-off with fresh water...not sure why I wrote that). Ok so it can be, say, a 5 gallon tank down in my cabinet with fresh RO water and then just hook up the pump and forget it. Then just refill the ATO reservoir every couple of weeks or so.

ChrisY

On my 130D I go thru about 3 gallons or so a week with RO water with the aux fan on, if its not on then less. I use a 5g tank for ato water at the moment.

steved13

PREMIUM
You got it. There's a little more to the set up. You have to mount the sensor so that it sees the water drop and turns the pump on, but pretty simple.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use a 5g (approx) storage bin. I have to refill it (I use Kalkwasser) about every 3rd week or so. I fill when there is about 1g left in the reservoir so in essence 4g lasts about 3 weeks or so. One reason I use less is the LED don't heat the water at all so the tank runs cooler w/o the AUX cooling fan in the back.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use a 5g (approx) storage bin. I have to refill it (I use Kalkwasser) about every 3rd week or so. I fill when there is about 1g left in the reservoir so in essence 4g lasts about 3 weeks or so. One reason I use less is the LED don't heat the water at all so the tank runs cooler w/o the AUX cooling fan in the back.

Caution on ato bucket sizes. Too small ur constantly filling. Too large n then if you have a problem with your pump sticking on (it happens) overflow sump time

matt sometimes enjoys sarcasm