Basket starfish pics!

tektite

One of the more elusive inhabitants of my macro tank decided last night to come out before dark. My basket starfish, I got some pics and video :)

A note about this creature - this is one of the hardest of all starfish to keep alive. Please do not even consider getting one without doing extensive research on them. They are extremely sensitive to any changes in water parameters, and are exclusive filter feeders. They are also nocturnal, so they must be fed after dark. Plus being nocturnal all you usually see of them in the day is a curled up blob of a million arms if they're visible at all. Getting up at 2-3am to feed them gets tiring fast :)

IMG_6524copy.jpg

IMG_6537copy.jpg

It had some arms that had fallen off in the LFS, now they're starting to grow back! Very cool. You can barely see the tiny new tentacle on the end of the arm:
IMG_6541copy.jpg

Catching food, its arms curl up around food it catches and it holds the food there for awhile:
IMG_6553copy.jpg

Once the arm has enough food, it curls up:
IMG_6546copy.jpg

And takes all the food to eat:
IMG_6549copy.jpg

Video if it grabbing some food. I didn't catch any arms curling up when they were full, but still cool. If you click on the vide and go fullscreen on Vimeo's site you can see a lot more detail:
Basket starfish eating on Vimeo

tektite

My basket starfish was out nicely tonight, it'd been only coming out behind the rockwork for the past couple weeks. Got some more pics with a flashlight :) The limbs it had lost in the LFS are continuing to regrow well.

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great pics and vid!! Thanks for sharing!! I for one wouldn't take on such a creature but if anyone can pull it off I'm sure you can :D

tektite

Thanks everyone....I don't know where it was collected, I can try asking the LFS maybe they'll remember since its an unusual creature.