Banded shrimp ate my clown fish.

spacehawk

Anyone know about Coral Banded Shrimp? Wouldn't along with clown fish. It not a cleaner shrimp? it eats meal? is it?

tnwillia

Welcome to RS!

I have no doubt your red banded would have eated or helped eat your clown had it died. I've never seen one go after anything alive. They will threaten, but I've not seen one take a living fish. Others will jump in to help you, I've been wrong many times. Good luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Val

I've got a coral banded in my tank. It hasn't bothered anything. My clown fish, especially the female doesn't take anything from any fish or invert in the tank. She doesn't start anything but she does finish it.

DBrinson

I was about to say "maybe it molted" ... then I realized who was eating who.

Are you sure he wasn't doing CPR? :D

rhino31

well I am in the minority here, as I just recently found one of my semi-picassos being munched on by my CB shrimp. Now I too thought the fish just died, and the cb was taking advantage of an easy meal, however, today I walk downstairs, and the cb has my other semi picasso clown in his pinchers, dragging him into his cave KICKING. I poked @ him with my net, he let my fish go, and the fish is up, and swimming. so in my experience, YES, the CB's can be little bastards

shark32

I have a rather large banded shrimp and the most he ever did was chase away a fish that went into his cave. Hi is a model citizen in my tank, but they do say every fish/invert has a different personality. Sorry about your loss.