Bad but funny (now) night.

Barcochris

well I had a pretty easy project tonight. I wanted to drill my sump for a bulkhead so I could plumb my new chiller in. No big deal right? WRONG! I drilled the bulkhead easy enough but as I was trying to tighten it the down tube from my tank came off, BEFORE THE BALL VALVE TO SHUT IT OFF. And new I have a rush of water coming down I did not move my sump lights, and have yet to install the GFI breaker. I am not sure if I said that I have two "flood" like bulbs that now have come in contact with my arm and stuck there. SO I am getting Nailed with TWO 120 volt light fixtures. I could not remove my arm, I am not sure why. The only thing I can do is flop backwards. My wife thought I was dead, because I was just lying on the ground for a second before I remembered that I still have water poring out of my tank. I got the down tube back on and all the electric disconnected. So now it is time to install the GFI breaker. No problem there. So I figure why I have everything disconnected I might as well put up my wall of power that i have made to get rid of the power strips. As I lean in the stand to screw it in I put a bit to much pressure on the pump and I heard a crack. the plastic return pipe of the pump is now snaped. What else can go wrong. so I change out pumps, I wanted to do this any ways to put in a larger pump. I get it all plumbed back in and filled with water and I forgot to tighten the bulkhead for the chiller, now i have more water pouring out of the sump. Now all is well again and tank is back running.

PLEASE IF YOU DON"T HAVE ONE INSTALLED, PLEASE PLEASE INSTALL A GFI!

I think this is the single most importan part of our tanks.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

vdituri

Wow! Glad you are o.k. Karma for your trials.
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.
I think that was intended for brocoli though.
GFI it is. Next on the list.

p.s. - You can't let go because the electricity contracts the muscles in your hand making your grip all that much stronger. Use the back of your hand if you must use any part of your hand.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
OMG! How horrible, what a shocking experience. I'm glad you are ok. I have a GFI outlet waiting to be installed, just haven't gotten around to it. I'll do it this weekend! Karma to you my friend!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ouch!! I'm glad you're okay! What a scary situation. I too need to install a GFI soon.

...btw, is your hair curly now?? :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Its all fun till somebody puts an eye out lol. glad you survived, that could of been much much worse, so tell me if you stand in the dark and rub your belly while patting your head can you light a compact fluorescent?

KodiakBear

Glad you're okay. Electricity is just plain evil! I know every time anyone on my sub gets even the slightest shock, we have to go see the corpsman and get one of those heart monitor things on us. Something about electricity screwing up your hearts rhythm and killing you when you go to sleep and your heart rate starts to slow down.
Might just be one of those ridiculous precautions the Navy makes us take, but that's one precaution I always take. (we do get shocked a lot actually. Something about an ungrounded electrical system that's not "inherently safe" like advertised.)
As bad as your shock sounds, you might want to go see your doc too.

bbl_nk

WOW! Sounds like something that would happen to me, glad you are all right and it all sounds like you worked it out in the end.

I used to be an electrician in the aviation side of the Navy, so I remember all about electrical shock. Why its dangerous with the human heart is because its at about 60 HZ can cause defribulation to your heart or get it all bejigedy, higher frequency doens't do this as much.

Just another FYI- if you EVER see someone stuck to something getting shocked, DON'T GRAB THEM! You will conduct the electicity through you and will end up stuck there too. It sounds harsh, but kick them free! The bruise will be less severe than major electrical shock and you won't conduct with your rubber sole shoes.