back on reef sanctuary!!!

Andy

Hi guys. Its been ages since i posted on here but im now back on it. I started my first marine aquarium about 3 years ago after i graduated from uni to get into the hobby. I had a small 20gal kent marine bio reef (utter rubbish nobody buy one!). I had this running as well as possible given the quality of the system keeping a few fish and mainly lps corals. I was always intending on an upgrade but due to a promotion at work this notion was pushed back on priority.
I have now decided it was time to get the upgrade as my old bio reef was on its last legs and so purchased a rsm 250. First impressions are very good. Great looking tank and is well equiped and very practical.
Things i like;
>Skimmer so far is working well and the water surface in crystal clear.
> Circulation pumps are more than enough to ensure good flow (left hand side pump maybe too powerful)
> Lighting is well equipped and i feel is enough to support pretty much any coral.
>Having timers on lights (this is the best thing since sliced bread compared to the bio reef!!!!)
> hood design is great looking, well thought out, and practical.
> Dimensions of the tank also make a great vewing screen.

Things i do not like
> The left hand side circulation pump is verypowerful and i will have to modify to disperse water flow.
> the tank runs at a high temp. I live in the UK and ambient temp will never be above 79 degrees on the warmest summers day but i am still having real issue pulling the temp below 84! At moment im leaving the hood at a 45 degree angle to get some cool air circulation if we are having a warm day and i am loath to buy an expensive chiller!
>could of made the weir at the back a little more discreete as to not ruin the display.

But overall impressions are very good only real issue is the temp. My back filter is made up of crushed live rock (bottom) a modified piece of black sponge (2nd) purigen (3rd) denitrate, phosguard, active carbon (4th) and finally filter floss in its allocated slot. i have ran this combo before with great success and water quality however if you have any suggestions or recommendations please feel free to comment. Biological filtration wise i have real reef rock and live sand with argonite.

Current live stock is; 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 hippo tang (its a baby and wife bought it without my knowledge), yellow tang, melanurus fairy wrasse, ember blenny, royal gammar, flasher wrasse, i mexican turbo, 10 turbos, 1 pom pom crab, 10 hermits and some nassarius snails, 2 blood red fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp.

i will be uploading a picture as soon as i figure out how to work photobucket again. good to be back!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Andy - welcome back to RS ! Congrats on the beautiful RSM 250

on the left circulation pump, I have mines pointed right & up, to create a surface ripple, seems to work well for me