Baby Mollies

italipinos8

My tank has finished cycling and I had some hair algae growth. I decided to take 4 mollies from my freshwater tank to help lower the hair algae (there doing a pretty good job). Well in my freshwater tank the babies never really survived because of the other fish... Will they survive on there own and help eat the algae?

29 gallon biocube
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20

Going to order a clean up crew this weekend.

Any help appreciated!!!

Avianman

That depends on a lot of factors. Breeding mollies in SW is really no different than in fresh water, and in some case like sailfin mollies, it is easier. Usually, though, SW tanks have a much higher flow, which might give the babies some trouble.

italipinos8

I acclimated them for about 24 hours but I've heard of people doing it within 3 hours... The Babies don't like to go into the highflow like the adults. I've seem them swim out and the were swimming against the current then will dart into the live rocks... I just want to try to keep the alive

I might stop my lfs and pick up a breeder net

JulesVane

I hear they breed very "easily" and are a good live food source for SW fish...Is this true? Anyone? (I mean by keeping a mated pair in a reef tank).

italipinos8

I hear they breed very "easily" and are a good live food source for SW fish...Is this true? Anyone? (I mean by keeping a mated pair in a reef tank).

Guess you could use them as food. Noticed the little ones picking at some hair algae on the sand bed so i hope some survive on their own!!!

JulesVane

I guess there's some debate on the nutrition of FW fish for SW fish. But, are Mollies FW fish? If they are "born" in a reef tank? Seems like a nice live food addition...

QuentinB

My understanding has been that the issue is in what they are fed. "Freshwater" food doesn't cut it for marine nutrition, apparently. I'm not sure if mollies are classified either way, but I would guess they would be FW, as they are sold that way and the majority of their natural habitat is. Good luck with them!

Triggerjay

I used to have a pair in my sump. Once in a while they would reproduce and the babies would get into the pump and end up in the DT. My fish loved the treats!

Jason

italipinos8

The mollies are doing a great job picking at the hair algae on the rocks and glass but dont seem interested in the algae on the sand bed.

Noticed the babies grazing on some algae on the rock and they dont seem to mind the flow anymore and will venture out into the open.

They have been in there for a few days now and i only feed them once with mysis shrimp.

61scout80

I had some in a freshwater tank. the tank was at work, and to keep the story short I feel it fell victim to "too many chef's in the kitchen". One female molly lived and reproduced no less then 3 times on her own, but none of the babies survived.

I believe the live bearing fish have the ability to hold sperm and fertilize eggs several times after the male did his part.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I added a harem to my seahorse tank for the sole purpose of allowing any newborn mollies to be snacks for my ponies.
It works out well but I do have some safe and growing mollies in the sump now :)

Here is the harem (3 females and 1 male) in the seahorse tank hanging out.
20101027_19_.jpg