Avoid aquacave.com

degibson84

placed an order Friday for my 220 gallon build and they are claiming they never received my payment. My credit card was build and now we are sitting on Wednesday and they are still claiming no payment was received

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
the issue may well have been paypal. I've had charges lost going through them before, or significantly delayed(IE 5-6days)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've had great experiences with Aquacave.......I hope you get this straghtened out. You both may be right here which in the end is not really a reflection of the business but a "technical problem".

LSUFireGal

Aqua cave didn't make the charge in your card PayPal did, sounds like they never sent the payment to AquaCave. I would call PayPal and tell them the merchant is saying they haven't received payment. I have had this problem before with PayPal. The seller can't call PayPal and handle it for you either, if they could I am sure they would.

steved13

PREMIUM
FYI, there is no "try to get a chargeback". You dispute the charge and it comes off your bill until the merchant proves they provided goods or services.

I've also had great service from aquacave.

theplantman

I would talk to an actual person at paypal to help check and see if it was routed correctly (if you have not already). You may see one thing on the account screen but you never know if someone pushed a button wrong, plus if paypal did forward the payment along, I would assume there would be a confirmation from the receiving party. I used aquacave for the first time earlier this month, but used a credit card and had an excellent experience. My ATO shipped exactly when they said it would and i received email confirmations and notices through every step of the process including when my payment was received and processed.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Pmt may have been authorized and never captured. The authorization confuses many and clears after a few days. We need credit card 101 taught in schools these days, it would be helpful.

Henryw25

Aqua cave didn't make the charge in your card PayPal did, sounds like they never sent the payment to AquaCave. I would call PayPal and tell them the merchant is saying they haven't received payment. I have had this problem before with PayPal. The seller can't call PayPal and handle it for you either, if they could I am sure they would.

Bump^

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Don't know if it applies here... but after Googling StevieT reply... I read this....

Authorization & Capture
Authorization & Capture, or Auth/Capture, allows you to authorize the availability of funds for a transaction but delay the capture of funds until a later time. This is often useful for merchants who have a delayed order fulfillment process. Authorize & Capture also enables merchants to modify the original authorization amount due to order changes occurring after the initial order is placed, such as taxes, shipping or gratuity.Authorize & Capture can be used in tandem with other PayPal payment options, such as Express Checkout, Direct Payment, and standard payment buttons.Once an authorization has been made, you can:
Capture either a partial amount or the full amount of the authorization
Reauthorize for a different amount: You can reauthorize for up to 115% of the originally authorized amount, not to exceed an increase of $75 USD
Void the authorization, if you need to cancel the transaction
After a successful authorization, PayPal honors 100% of authorized funds for three days. A day is defined as the start of the calendar day on which the authorization was made. However, PayPal will not allow you to capture funds if your customer's account is restricted or locked, or if your account has a high restriction level.You can attempt to capture without a reauthorization from day four to day 29 of the authorization period, but PayPal cannot ensure that 100% of the funds will be available after the three day honor period.You can make two types of authorizations, basic authorizations and order authorizations.
Basic Authorizations
Basic authorizations place the customer's funds on hold for up to 29 days. During this time, you can capture, void, or reauthorize the funds. You can reauthorize a transaction only once. You can reauthorize it for up to 115% of the originally authorized amount, not to exceed an increase of $75 USD.You can capture and void basic authorizations through either the Authorize & Capture APIs or by logging in to your PayPal account and using the web interface.
Orders and Order Authorizations
An order authorization confirms the availability of the customer's funds but does not place the funds on hold. After making the order, you can capture the order directly without any additional authorization, or you can make an additional order authorization to change the amount, and then capture that amount.This technique is often used by merchants who accept orders for varying items, some of which may not be available for shipment at the time the order is placed. Subsequent basic authorizations are made as the items become available. These authorizations ensure the customer still has the funds available in order to purchase the item. You can make up to 10 basic authorizations for each order authorization.An order period is 29 days long. Within this period, you can request an authorization to ensure the availability of funds, up to 115% of the originally authorized amount, not to exceed an increase of $75 USD. You can only perform this authorization once.Using Authorization & CaptureYou create authorizations or order transactions using either the PayPal API (for Express Checkout or Website Payments Pro) or Website Payments Standard. For Direct Payments with Website Payments Pro, you can only create authorizations; you cannot create order authorizations.After you have created authorizations, you can capture, void, or reauthorize the transaction using the PayPal API. You can capture or void authorizations from the PayPal website.You must capture and void orders and order authorizations with the Authorization and Capture APIs. You cannot process order authorizations through the PayPal website. The PayPal website only supports processing basic authorizations, not order authorization

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/howto_admin_authcapture

If it helps... I have bought 100's of items from EBAY - always using PayPal & using a Credit Card - twice in all the transactions over 18 years... I didn't get an item I ordered, both times I told the Credit Card company & they made PayPal issue an immediate refund, once I sent in a written letter saying I did not receive the item - hope this helps...

degibson84

well i ended up ordering elsewhere as i waited a week and they still claimed they never received but i was still billed. I am in the process of filling a chargeback but they need me to talk to the security department

DaveK

I read the thread, and this is the sort of think Paypal is notorious for.

Personally, if I see a merchant that only takes Paypal as opposed to regular major credit cards, it's a red flag. Unless there is no other good way to go, I'll shop elsewhere. Yes, this also means that I don't shop on eBay. I don't have a problem with that.

theplantman

Aquacave does accept credit cards, i used one to get my ATO and had it in 2 days. Its too bad you had this experience though.

LSUFireGal

Think about it this way...

I want to buy a bike from Steve, so I give Mike the money and tell him to give it to Steve so Steve will send me the bike. Steve never receives the money...

Now I am mad am mad at Steve for not sending me the bike? No I should be mad at Mike for not getting the money to Steve. This post should be called Avoid PayPal. There are ways of tracking where the payment went after PayPal charged your credit card, but you have to do that with PayPal. I doubt a business would be stupid enough to say they didn't receive a traceable payment through PayPal if they had gotten it.

I don't think you have reason to be upset at AquaCave about this, they didn't require you to use a third party service. PayPal is great for some stuff, but when there is a problem it really sucks.

Getting your money refunded should be fairly easy. Good luck though.