August '08 POTM Contest!

nikkipigtails

Here's one of my favorite "top down" shots.
may16106staronvalida.jpg

I was going to enter...now, forget about it!

Awesome pic!

sambrinar

You can send your camera to me and I can test it out for you, you know, just to see if it works ok!

UMMMMmmm, I think I hold off and see if I can fight with it, it has a macro and micro setting, it just doesn't like the water or the bow front tank, or any movement, or the operator. JK I am sure it is operator error. I'll figure it out, but thanks for the offer

Snappy

Snappy try using Mihov resizer. I recently downloaded it and it works great. You just type in 800 pixels after you have selected the picture and it comes out just the right size. Heres the link good luck! you gotta enter your pic haha

Mihov Image Resizer: resize, convert, and rotate digital photos - JPG, GIF, BMP
I tried it but it still exceeds the size limit even when I do a low res version but thanks a lot for the link. No big deal if it's not entered. If you saw it and thought it was cool that's good enough for me. I'm not worried about it and don't want the thread to get off topic.
sambrinar, thanks as well.

Snappy

You know I have a very nice camera, and I still can't get good shots, stupid thing cant figure out how to focus even in manual. I should break out the old Cannon AE-1

How do you guys do it??

For the best top down shots you can use a "photo box" to break the water surface. Works like a charm.

nikkipigtails

My tank is so damn small I dont have much to play with in the way of variety :)

But heres a top down shot !

topfull7-27.jpg

Awesome picture! It reminds me of one of those really old scary movies where they just started using special effects and they superimposed your face into the reef.

brikeibur

I tried it but it still exceeds the size limit even when I do a low res version but thanks a lot for the link. No big deal if it's not entered. If you saw it and thought it was cool that's good enough for me. I'm not worried about it and don't want the thread to get off topic.
sambrinar, thanks as well.

Snappy....try taking ur picture (if you have photoshop) and saving it for 'web'. It is an option near the 'save' 'save as' 'open' and all that. It will get rid of the unneccessary information saved in your photo file therefore making the image size smaller and not the actual picture smaller. Although, depending on the original size, you will probably still have to go in and size the image down some. You can also turn the quality down just a hair, it lets you see the before and after though, so you can make sure that there is no noticable differences. Also try changing the dimensions to like 640 x480 or something similar....you don't need an 800 x 600 or anything, that is still pretty large ... will fill up a low res monitor.

Dunno, it may help :dunno: ....I use this feature a lot when making websites to get good quality pics that aren't huge in size.

Snappy

Snappy....try taking ur picture (if you have photoshop) and saving it for 'web'. It is an option near the 'save' 'save as' 'open' and all that. It will get rid of the unneccessary information saved in your photo file therefore making the image size smaller and not the actual picture smaller. Although, depending on the original size, you will probably still have to go in and size the image down some. You can also turn the quality down just a hair, it lets you see the before and after though, so you can make sure that there is no noticable differences. Also try changing the dimensions to like 640 x480 or something similar....you don't need an 800 x 600 or anything, that is still pretty large ... will fill up a low res monitor.

Dunno, it may help :dunno: ....I use this feature a lot when making websites to get good quality pics that aren't huge in size.
Great tips, thanks.
However after reveiwing the rules in the first post I don't think that picture qualifies anyway since I won a contest in Canada with it last month. Anyway not a big deal I'm just glad people seem to like it.:cool: