ATO suggestions for 130 please?

I have had my tank for 4 months now. I'm taking my first trip and I'm incredibly nervous about leaving my tank alone :tears:

I will be gone 4 days and I went to LFS to get auto top off to help replace evaporated water. The unit they sold me (almost $100) doesn't fit into the back chambers of RSM 130 (see pic below). The return pumps almost fill that chamber, and that's where I was told I need to mount the sensor to detect the water level.

I've searched on the site for ATO suggestions, couldn't find anything. Can anyone who has an ATO with a RSM 130 please tell me what brand/type you are using.

I appreciate it!!!

Attachments

• ATO1.jpg
    ATO1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 133
  • ATO2.jpg
    ATO2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 132
  • ATO3.jpg
    ATO3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 132

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I use a Tunze Osmolator and have both my level sensor and the emergency overflow float sensor mounted to the right of the heater pane - in the skimmer compartment. No room in that pump chamber. If you do set yours up be sure you pull any filter sponges or pads out - anything that plugs up & drops the water level in back can cause the ATO to falsely think that the main tank needs water, when it really doesn't.

By the way, in a separate sump below the tank, the ATO sensors would go into the return pump chamber - that's where the evaporation shows up in a sump, and may be what the LFS was thinking when they told you where to mount it.

The JBJ ATO is a good one too, at a lot lower cost than the Tunze.

Is that a level sensor in your first picture, or the water return line? I've never seen a suction cup mounted ATO sensor, and if that's what it is I'd be concerned about the suction cups holding. Suction cups always seem to come off eventually.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If you still run the stock RSM hood, you might get by fine for 4 days by turning off any cooling fans, and the lights as well. That would keep the tank cooler, lower evaporation, and fish & corals will probably do fine till you get back. The only thing that would suffer would be any algae! If you have an additional powerhead you might be able to shut off one of the 2 RSM pumps so there would be less chance of blowing bubbles if the water level does drop some. Just some ideas.

echopiece

This is a picture from another member on here (forgot their name?) Its the tunze osmolator. I have also seen it mounted to divider wall between the pump chamber and the heater chamber next to the black 45 degree angle piece. Hope that helps.

tunze3155ato2.jpg

zenzence

Reef Fanatic ATO fist very nicely in the back of the RSM. The sensors are very small and seems to work very well I have had it up and running for about 6 months no problems

Thanks for all the tips. Just landed in ny. Weather on east coast was bad so flight was delayed 2 hrs :-(. I left a key with a friend and trained her on how to add water if necessary when I'm gone. So hopefully all will be ok. Will look into the options for the next trip Labor Day.

Ok,
It's been awhile since I posted about buying a Tunze Osmolator 3155. I purchased it, looked at the directions, and put it to the side for 4 months. The directions are horrible!

I started at 6pm and did not finish until 11:00pm, but I'm so excited now. I purposely did not do a top-off so that I could install and calibrate the ATO. After installation, when I plugged in the controller, it automatically turned on and added the RO/DI water to my tank. It turned off at the correct point and my tank level was back to normal :eek:lsmile:

I have to admit, a good portion of my time was spent searching for examples online because the instructions were so bad. With good instructions, you could complete the install in 30-45 min tops.

I'm leaving for vacation for 2 weeks, and wanted all up, running, and tested for a while before leaving. I'm pushing it with only 3 days left, but think it will be ok. Heck, I'm thinking about writting instructions while I'm away ;-). Will post pics tomorrow, going to bed ;-) Tomorrow I install the GHL Profilux 4 pump doser that arrived today.. skimming through those instructions now ;-).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's a great ATO, but I agree on the Tunze instructions - they are terrible! I also hate the 3155 mounting brackets.

hallie

Yup the osmolator is awesome. My water level hasnt changed since I installed it. I agree, the instructions and mounting brackets are awful. Tunze are now selling magnetic mounting brackets and as soon as they get to Australia im going to get me some.