Ashley's 30g Escape Tank

ASH

My escape from the world. LOL

Here we are again. Setting up a new tank.

It's a 30g 36X12X18 tank. I've got a rena filstar xp filter that is working nicely. I used 2 qts of old sand from my old tank and added 20 lbs of new sand.

Right now the tank is empty other than sand and water. I'm about to test for ammonia and make sure I don't have a spike b4 I add livestock. I was thinking of holding off on adding any livestock until tomorrow just to make sure. If I do have a spike will it happen now???

Varga

how long ago did you put the water in? any LR? pretty sure tomorrow is too soon for live stock unless you got crazy tough chromis like mine :D

ASH

I put the water in an hour ago and all the LR is old LR that should not cause a cycle I don't think....But I have new sand that I'm worried about. I haven't tested the water yet.

vdituri

Escape away Ash.
The liverock from an established tank shouldn't cause a cycle, but keep in mind that you have no bacteria in the sand yet to support any livestock. It will build slowly overtime. You are pretty close to back to square one. Go slow.

ASH

But I put 2 qts of old live sand from my old tank. I thought that would make it fine. :(

vdituri

It helps alot, but it won't colonize the deep sand bacteria that takes the nitrates to nitrogen gas.
As I have never tried this I can't give you a 100% answer.
I'm not sure how much this will accelerate your cycle. Alot, but not a complete fix. Go slow and make sure to test as you go.

ASH

I tested 3 hours ago and no ammonia and I just checked now and no ammonia. So far so good :)

I got some pics tonight I'll post them in the morning.

ASH

Alright I tested this morning and still no trace of ammonia. YAY

Here's a few pics from last night.
IMG_2812.jpg

LR and LS
IMG_2816.jpg

G!N+T0N!K

Sweet progress. I also had new sand, used established live rock, seeded sand bed with established live sand and I barely got a spike at all within the first week. So far everyone is happy and tests are perfect and stable. Good luck!

ASH

Done and done.

Everything looks GREAT!!!! I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. I'll get some pics soon....One problem. I can't find my camera cord to put them on the computer. So I'll do some searching. I've got to work at 3 tonight and I'm gonna get my friend to come over this afternoon while i'm at work and test my water. And I went and bought some water just incase she has to do a small water change. So I think I'm all set.

ASH

LOL AL

Thanks Gina.

Both fish are already eating as well as the shrimp. My star polyps are peeking out and leatherface (leather coral) is already turning his beautiful pink color.

ASH

I got some pics....I borrowed my roommates camera

Full tank shot
tank-1.jpg

Side view
sideview.jpg

Polyps
polyps.jpg

lcstorc

Looks awesome ASH. Some great purple on those rocks and the corals already look happy.
I think you will be just fine. Keep posting pics though. You know how much we love them.