Arowana??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ REEF

I like the idea of hiding places for smaller fish. They are pretty easy to adapt to floating food sticks or shrimp.

Andy

Arouana are bred in outdoor heated ponds. There diet should consist of a variety of foods such as meal worm or small white frogs which the name eludes me. They can become bored in house tanks and loose their appetite. My dad collects some rare ones that are microchipped he says there easy to keep just do the usual chek water and keep temp as stable as possible. Expensive hobby tho

lbiminiblue

Arouana are bred in outdoor heated ponds. There diet should consist of a variety of foods such as meal worm or small white frogs which the name eludes me. They can become bored in house tanks and loose their appetite. My dad collects some rare ones that are microchipped he says there easy to keep just do the usual chek water and keep temp as stable as possible. Expensive hobby tho

Ok. I think i know the frogs you're talking about. This arowana would be going into a 5000 gallon pond.

no im talking about silver arowana's. thats what i had for a long time. ive seen a bunch up close and personnel that are huge. 3 ft is not there max. They will get alot bigger than that if they have the room. and if you don't have a big enough tank they can and have broke the glass. and there have been many asian arowana's that tip the 9 ft scale.

i talked to a friend of mine and he said that you do have a chance of them surviving the cold ( he recommends a heater though) if you slowly (very very very) intertuce them to it.

PEMfish

You might be the first person who has taken a judicious approach to keeping one of these. I applaud you.

It seems you have a fighting chance here, with the proper water volume and living so far in the south, but these are tropical fish and a cold snap might kill it. You have other fish with similar temperature needs that die off every winter, so I would add a heati g system before purchasing an arrowana.

SubRosa

no im talking about silver arowana's. thats what i had for a long time. ive seen a bunch up close and personnel that are huge. 3 ft is not there max. They will get alot bigger than that if they have the room. and if you don't have a big enough tank they can and have broke the glass. and there have been many asian arowana's that tip the 9 ft scale.

i talked to a friend of mine and he said that you do have a chance of them surviving the cold ( he recommends a heater though) if you slowly (very very very) intertuce them to it.
Sorry, I really don't feel like a pissing contest, but I'm not going to let patently incorrect info go unchallenged either. Scleropages formosus, Asian bonytongue : fisheries, aquarium

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Arapaima-gigas.html

Osteoglossum bicirrhosum, Arawana : fisheries, gamefish, aquarium

theplantman

Get a solar heating kit similiar to what you would use for a pool. Will most likely cost a grand or two at least. Then tie it into your plumbing system.

PEMfish

I might be talking out my ass here, but these are my first thoughts;

You can get a cheaper heating system than solar. I've even seen house hold water heaters used, but thats not ideal. Pool heaters are what I've heard people have success with. The electricity or gas used with a conventional heater will probably never add up to be more than the cost of a solar heater, so there's most likely no savings there.

The pool heater will probably cost you about $600.

The differance is that im not reading it, ive seen it. you can set in your room and find all kinds of articles that prove what you want so your right, as i can find the same. im not going off of what i read.

I have seen many, so i know you are full of crap and yours probally never got big because you just don't raise them right.

lbiminiblue

The differance is that im not reading it, ive seen it. you can set in your room and find all kinds of articles that prove what you want so your right, as i can find the same. im not going off of what i read.

I have seen many, so i know you are full of crap and yours probally never got big because you just don't raise them right.
First Of all sub didnt even say he has one. And this doesnt answer My Question. HOW big will an arowana Get and will It eat all the small fish?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok gang... let's all take 2 steps back and cool our jets :)

We're all family here so let's not make or take this personally.

This thread is about to spiral downhill and we'll lock it if the mood in here doesn't change.

:hug1:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am going to close this thread as it is going downhill fast & RS members are reporting it as leaving the sharing of opinions/facts & into a reason for personal offense... if the OP still has question please start a new thread thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.