Are Heaters An Absolute?

GrendelPrime

i was just curious if u needed heaters in the summer time when the temp never drops below 75..especialy if u run mh's?

ChrisOaty

They really are a must. Even for those households who run air conditioning 24/7. Some of the gurus may correct me on this, but temperature is less important than temperature stability. You want your tank water fluctuations kept at a minimum because it may cause a lot of stress to your inhabitants. If ambient air is 78 all the time, and you keep your heater at 78, thats awesome, it will very nearly never have to run...so it won't cost you any electricity. But the moment the temperature in the room fluctuates, without a heater, you may lose livestock due to that drop. A healthy tank never fluctuates more than 2 degrees maximum. For small tanks, that is almost impossible to do without a heater. HTH.

smkndrgn142

Nothing is an absolute. I live is SoCal and have never run a heater on my tank. It's only been in it's current location for a year, but it's been stable the whole time. It was in its last location for 3 years without a problem. Something else to think about...typhoons and other tropical storms often bring cold water up from the ocean depths which flows through the reefs. I got experience this first hand snorkeling in Fiji...one minute the water was 80 degrees, the next it felt like it was in the 60s.

DaveK

Lots of good information in the previous posts.

I would also add that heaters are most likely the piece of equipment with the greatest failure rate in the hobby.

As usual always buy top quality, and with most heaters we are not talking about a lot of money here.

Consider running the heater off a dedicated temperature controller or off a general purpose controller.

Don't over do the heater. You only need about 2 to 3 watts per gallon for a typical system.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I know of a few reefers who have "gotten away" with no heater... one for a few years now but . . .he's never seen any significant growth and his tank has never been really WOW!!

Stability is key for long term success. Yes there are occasional fluctuations but under normal circumstances any changes are VERY gradual which is why our wet friends aren't adapted to changes very well.

I run DUAL heaters in my big tank off of an Aquarium Controller. Life Is Good :)

smkndrgn142

I know of a few reefers who have "gotten away" with no heater... one for a few years now but . . .he's never seen any significant growth and his tank has never been really WOW!!

Stability is key for long term success. Yes there are occasional fluctuations but under normal circumstances any changes are VERY gradual which is why our wet friends aren't adapted to changes very well.

I run DUAL heaters in my big tank off of an Aquarium Controller. Life Is Good :)

It all depends on where you live and what you're keeping. Like I said, I live in southern California where the temps stays warm all year round. I'm also only keeping soft corals and everything has been thriving! The question was "Is a heater absolutely necessary?" and it's not. If you're in a warm tropical climate, you'd likely be running a chiller than a heater...even in the summers here, I'm starting to think that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Johnly

all reefing is relative. If your temps are "good" in the summer naturally, then there good, right? I wouldn't try it though....I like the idea of it kicking on if something happens. Reefing is a science, and as such, everything is always up for re evaluation! I like trying new things, and I junked my skimmer only to see my water nutrients stabilize! 90% of reefers think I am nuts because I think skimmers are "dated", but hey, it is science! And therefor "nothing is set in stone when it comes to this hobby!" Whoo Hoo!

PS 90% of reefers think I am nuts for keeping a 1.032 SG! But the origin of my reef habitats are from a sea with an ave, of 1.035! But I am the one that feels better at night for practiceing good science:)

fellers

all reefing is relative. If your temps are "good" in the summer naturally, then there good, right? I wouldn't try it though....I like the idea of it kicking on if something happens. Reefing is a science, and as such, everything is always up for re evaluation! I like trying new things, and I junked my skimmer only to see my water nutrients stabilize! 90% of reefers think I am nuts because I think skimmers are "dated", but hey, it is science! And therefor "nothing is set in stone when it comes to this hobby!" Whoo Hoo!

PS 90% of reefers think I am nuts for keeping a 1.032 SG! But the origin of my reef habitats are from a sea with an ave, of 1.035! But I am the one that feels better at night for practiceing good science:)

What are you keeping in your tank?
Also you do not believe in skimmers?
Just clarifying... Eeveryone is entitled to their own opinion, USA baby

michael_cb_125

I do not run heaters on any of my systems (5). Granted, I run all of my tanks cooler than most (68-73).

I have had too many disasters with heaters. Providing your home temp does not swing much, a tank should not need a heater.

That said, I do keep a few spare heaters around in the winter just to be safe. ;)

~Michael

GrendelPrime

have there been any studies done on what fluctuating temps can do to fish or is it just something thats agreed should be avoided?

DaveK

have there been any studies done on what fluctuating temps can do to fish or is it just something thats agreed should be avoided?

Yes, there have been some formal studies. If you want to read more on this, I refer you to the book, Captive Seawater Fishes by Stephen Spotte. Chapter 4 had a large amount devoted to what happens to a fish under stress, including temperature changes. This is a formal, serious, college level, textbook on the subject, so it's very advanced reading, but this means all sources are cited in the appendix by chapter and subject. It's a very expensive book, so you are most likely better off getting it through your local library.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great info Dave (as usual).

Keep in mind that our oceans are nothing if not "Stable". Under normal circumstances any changes are slow and over a long period of time.

Johnly

Yes, there have been some formal studies. If you want to read more on this, I refer you to the book, Captive Seawater Fishes by Stephen Spotte. Chapter 4 had a large amount devoted to what happens to a fish under stress, including temperature changes. This is a formal, serious, college level, textbook on the subject, so it's very advanced reading, but this means all sources are cited in the appendix by chapter and subject. It's a very expensive book, so you are most likely better off getting it through your local library.

I love undergraduate studies, as well as grad studies:) You can access some good college/library data bases for free from online data bases such as ebscohost, HU, CU, YU, etc. and read some fascinating marine biology studies. That book sounds good, but I would recommend any one new to read as many books as they can. I have found some books to be heavy on literature in one perspective while other books cover some missing facets I initially found. Not do downplay books, but they can become dated fast, so reading current scholarly marine journals, gives one a more current science, and access to new information and marine discoveries! Although some books are good and they stay current for much longer times (usually the ones based on good science, and filled with the larger marine theory's that have yet to be challenged)

Good post Dave....nothing like compound Marine knowledge form multiple sources to fill ones mind.

Johnly

What are you keeping in your tank?
Also you do not believe in skimmers?
Just clarifying... Eeveryone is entitled to their own opinion, USA baby

Why thanks for asking!

I am keeping red sea corals only! Maybe some W. Indo Pacific life that borders the Red sea! The Red Sea has an average specific gravity of 1.028 - 1.035. The Red Sea is so sheltered and has some of the most delicate coral around! Plus Jock Custo showed of the Red Sea first!

Protein skimmers are fine, and work for many people. I used one for years:) I found that (we all know this) they strip the good nutrients along with the bad:( I am sure you heard the solution to pollution is dilution? Well, threw the indiscriminate water stripper (thought great for fish!) out, and began my weekly changes (from every two weeks before)....corals looked better after two weeks, and nutrient levels stabilized. I think they are great for fish though!

USA Baby? my dad fought long and hard for this country, and you are darn right everyone is entitled to there opinion:ofr: I just prefer the ones with experience:apimp:

fellers

Why thanks for asking!

I am keeping red sea corals only! Maybe some W. Indo Pacific life that borders the Red sea! The Red Sea has an average specific gravity of 1.028 - 1.035. The Red Sea is so sheltered and has some of the most delicate coral around! Plus Jock Custo showed of the Red Sea first!

Protein skimmers are fine, and work for many people. I used one for years:) I found that (we all know this) they strip the good nutrients along with the bad:( I am sure you heard the solution to pollution is dilution? Well, threw the indiscriminate water stripper (thought great for fish!) out, and began my weekly changes (from every two weeks before)....corals looked better after two weeks, and nutrient levels stabilized. I think they are great for fish though!

USA Baby? my dad fought long and hard for this country, and you are darn right everyone is entitled to there opinion:ofr: I just prefer the ones with experience:apimp:

Cool, I would love to see pics of your corals.
You should be proud of your Dad, as it sounds you are.
I served as well. 1997/2003: A/1/75, 3 tours in Afghanistan