Are all RSMs 250s created equal?

neebs

Was wondering if anyone knows if red sea max tanks manufactured for example in 2008 are the exact same as those manufactured more recently.

For example seems to be some issues with overheating, heaters failing and difficult skimmers - are these issues less common in newly manufactured tanks?

Thanks,
Muneeb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jpsika08

I think as regular practice all tanks are produced equally.

This is the same type of production of any mass production product in the world. For manufacturers, in this case Red Sea, it's a must to go to one single provider and close the deal based on volume, quality and availability, this is how at the end they get their cost straight and calculate a profit, at the end the MSRP comes out, after this they have to deal with currency and bla bla bla so goes on.

After some months of production, based on user experience and feedback they establish which parts are not meeting it expectancy and this is when they usually change the part to another one more efficient or basically change the provider.

Hope this all made sense. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 Juan's reply ^

Red Sea made a couple of improvement the main one being they replaced all the "problematic" Hydor pumps with Sicce pumps, this happen mid year 2010 and solved the overheating problems & the short pump life problems.

In mid 2010 they also added a glass lip inside the top front edge, these are the only mods I know of... unlike the original 130 RSM tank, that a couple of years latter, Red Sea release the "D" model with several upgraded, there has not been a "D" (deluxe) model RSM 250. If you have Sicce pumps or replace the original ones with Sicce pumps, all RSM 250s are basically the same.

Hope this helps - great tanks - I run stock & my one year warranty just expired & not one claim, it has worked perfectly :dance:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a great warranty and support system here in the USA - if with in one year any part breaks - Red Sea will replace the part with no hassle and ship the part out right away.

In fact... many failed Hydor pumps were replaced with in the 1st year with the Sicce pumps

ChrisY

Hmm. I have one of my recirc pumps that for sure is not sealed around the outlet. If the water level drops to that part it sprays bubbles. Do you know whom should I contact?

Chris

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
In the USA - call Amanda

U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

Sy101

Something else new seems to rubber matts stuck to inside of the sump glass stopping vibration noise, I don't have this on my 2010 tank. Compared to my mates 2011 tank with rubber matts both pumps and skimmer seem alot quieter

Sy101

We don't have any pictures of the tank set up, when the rare glass is really clean you can just make the squares about 6x6" glued to the glass in front of the pumps. It's also on the floor under the skimmer pump.
I did wonder weather it's something I could retro fit. Currently I'm using the small round pump feet (glass suckers) to do a smiliar job to stop the vibrations

neebs

Thank you very helpful and interesting info. I ordered my RSM 250 - i hope that I dont get an old model that has been sitting around the warehouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome neebs & Congrats !

Not sure where you live, but here in the states all ship from Red Sea in Houston no matter where you order it, when I order mine, I actually call them (Pinky at that time, now Amanda) to make sure mine would have the Sicce pumps & they told me at the time ALL RSM 250 were shipping with the new Sicce pumps, can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the states, I can tell you you should be the latest - Cheers !