Aqueon Evolve 2 gallon Pico Reef

JJB103

I'm in the process of trying to get into a house, so until I put my dream tank in the new house I am starting up a Pico Reef. I can't live without having some kind of reef project going. haha. Here are a few pictured of the beginning. I just put the live sand and rock in yesterday, so it's a little cloudy.
photo1_zpsdcf41b77.jpg

photo31_zpsc9bae3ea.jpg

photo3_zps28be4eed.jpg

photo4_zps93c7bffc.jpg

photo5_zpsb9ce5468.jpg

JJB103

If anyone has tips or tricks with Pico tanks I'd appreciate the help. It's my first. I had a 55 gal mixed reef that I did well with but had to sell it.

JJB103

Yes. I plan on filling that chamber with Chaeto and putting the rubble in the other chamber if it has enough flow. Not quite sure yet. Maybe some kind of chemical like purigen.

JJB103

Here are a couple updated pics. The cycle is almost done and the only mod i have made so far Since my last post is I took out the pump and removed the flow regulator and bored out the hole on the plastic part of the inlet. I also took the flow direction nozzle of the outlet. All this increased my flow quite a bit. I still might end up getting a whole new pump for even more flow. The next big thing I need is a stronger light. I have a few selections to choose from, so I will let you all know what I do.
photo11_zps717d3ae1.jpg

photo2_zpsc3ffb4f2.jpg

photo32_zps5b998e42.jpg

photo41_zps7eebf5ab.jpg

sheavens

Nice pics. I was just wondering about that rock touching the glass, are you planning to move it? Just thinking a little way down the line when you need to clean the glass.

JJB103

What are u planning on using for lighting. ?

I have really been wanting to do a DIY LED. Rapid LED has some really good stuff that is easy to put together. A lot of the lights I have seen for picos are a little too big for my tank. I like the par38 led bulbs but I want to have blues and whites on separate circuits. Innovative marine has some good lights for Pico reefs too. I am still researching and deciding.

JJB103

Nice pics. I was just wondering about that rock touching the glass, are you planning to move it? Just thinking a little way down the line when you need to clean the glass.

I am going to move some of that rock to the back of the tank when I figure out how I'm going to put Chaeto and a light in it.

nate540

What heater are you running? I have the aqueon 10w and it is cooking my tank at 86 not good any suggestions?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Nate,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

JJB103

Here are some updated pics. Just bought some frags. One eagle eye and one packer with some mixed zoos. Also, one very small red mushroom. Sorry about the horrible pictures. My wife has the camera, so these are from my phone and iPad.
IMG466_zps86b910fc.jpg

IMG465_zpsbc2057cf.jpg

IMG464_zps274c6add.jpg

IMG463_zpsb96d1dbc.jpg

IMG462_zps203f243b.jpg

IMG461_zpsc3d5f82b.jpg

IMG460_zps64d4556d.jpg

IMG459_zps41c1ccba.jpg

IMG458_zpsb9cd8b77.jpg

photo5_zps688869cd.jpg

JJB103

So, underneath the first compartment of the filter is an open dead space that doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. My ammonia levels were always high and I found a ton of detritis in that area. The stock hose that connects the pump to the outlet to the display is too short to have the pump in that empty chamber, so I went to Lowes and bought a longer hose and shoved that pump under that space. I then filled the place where the pump was with live rock rubble. I put Chaeto in the first compartment with a temporary light. Ammonia levels are now 0 and after I did that my water went crystal clear in a couple days.

JJB103

Here is an update. I got one more Zoa frag (radioactive dragon eyes) and an aptasia just popped out of it about 5 min ago. I hate these things. I even spent 20 min. staring at this frag to make sure no aptasias were on it and this guy decided to pop out 2 days later.

DSC01408_zps0e7a75a7.jpg

DSC01407_zps625cb555.jpg

DSC01406_zpsb4619206.jpg

DSC01402_zpsb2325967.jpg

DSC01401_zps8f1d9368.jpg

DSC01400_zpsc3ee5fee.jpg