Aquascaping

rebekwl

Does anyone have any expert aquascaping advice? I have a 55 gal with a reg footprint. I have so much rock in there that it touches the back glass as well as the glass on the sides, and it looks so crowded to me! I want to somehow scape it and make it look more open without removing an of the biologocal filtration. Any suggestions? I don't have the internet at home anymore unfortunately, so I will have to check in on Monday and see if anyone responded. Thanks guys and gals!!

odstar

Does anyone have any expert aquascaping advice? I have a 55 gal with a reg footprint. I have so much rock in there that it touches the back glass as well as the glass on the sides, and it looks so crowded to me! I want to somehow scape it and make it look more open without removing an of the biologocal filtration. Any suggestions? I don't have the internet at home anymore unfortunately, so I will have to check in on Monday and see if anyone responded. Thanks guys and gals!!

I too have a 55 that I just started. Take a look of how I Aquascaped my tank.

Attachments

• Righttankshot.JPG
    Righttankshot.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 91
  • FTS.JPG
    FTS.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 90
  • LeftTankshot.JPG
    LeftTankshot.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 87

lcstorc

Do you have a sump to hide rock in? Other than that I love arches and caves. Leave enough room for the mag float on all sides but maybe the back.

jg2269jg

along with the whole aquascaping thing how much live rock is to much. I have the rock from one side to the other and i think i have to much how much rock should you really have in a 110

lcstorc

1-3 lbs per gallon is the generally accepted rule. If the rock is very porus you can go closer to 1. If it is more dense then you want something around 3. Personally I am a fan of hiding it in the sump and/or fuge. It can still do it's work without being in the display.

jg2269jg

if it is in the sump does it still have to be in the light. would u have to put lights on it like you have on your reef or can it be under less lighting

lcstorc

No it does not need light. If you want to grow macro as well then that will need light but a normal flood light from a home improvememt store works great.

jg2269jg

This may sound stupid but if i took a storage bin plumbed it to the main tank and put live rock in it it will be ok and i wouldnt have to have a light on it just really flow through the container. Been in the hobby for years and you learn more everyday i love RS Thanks for answering the questions

lcstorc

As long as it is food grade plastic you are good to go. Many people have problems with the containers bowing out so they are not used too often. I believe it is blueeyes who uses horse troughs for a sump and fuge. Maybe not her but someone here does. :)

jg2269jg

i have seen the rubbermaid 100 gallon troughs used as sumps and fuges
there is a thread on here about a guy making a greenhouse and using the rubbermaid 100's as coral troughs very interesting if you havent seen it

rebekwl

I too have a 55 that I just started. Take a look of how I Aquascaped my tank.

Wow, your scaping looks great!! I love the shape of your rocks. Yours looks alot more open than mine. Alot of my rocks are pretty solid so it looks very crowded in there.

Lynn-I do have a fuge but it's pretty small and has some rock in it already. It's in the center chamber of my sump. Can I put rock in the return or skimmer chambers in my sump? Thanks!

This is a really nice look here.....

I think that a slight arch has a really nice look and allows the livestock to find the exact lighting suitable for their needs.

Attachments

• front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 52

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
surfride where did you get that pic? I would like to see more of it.

Allen

I think that a slight arch has a really nice look and allows the livestock to find the exact lighting suitable for their needs.

lcstorc

I don't see any reason why you couldn't put some in th4 return area but i would leave the skimmer area witou. Not really sure why butnit just makes sense to me.

rebekwl

I really like the look of that too. I have some rocks that are similar in shape and I MAY be able to pull something like that off.

Thanks Lynn, I think I throw some down in my return chamber to see if I can open up some space.

Thanks everyone, you all have been great as usual!

goldenmean

rebekwl I hope you post pics of your aquascaping as you do it.
The first draft and any subsequent changes which I bet there will be many.
We are reef addicts and that is what we do! hee hee.

I hope to have LR in my new standard size 55 by the end of this month and this thread has been helpful.

rebekwl

I deffinitely will post some pics. I will try to get some before pics to post tonight so you all can see it now. It might not be as bad as I think. I'm a super perfectionist so i may just need someone else to tell me it's just fine!! Will post pics asap!!

lcstorc

Be cereful about your livfestock, I lost a Chevrin tanj to a rockslide and I waesn't even re- scapcing