Aquarium safe silicone?

mike810

I've searched through the forums for a safe aquarium silicone. I've read many people use the GE 100% silicone 1 for windows and doors. My question is, I accidentally bought the white silicone instead of the clear. Is it still safe?

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 89

livebait

As long as it's type I and doesn't have any antibacterial or antifungal chemicals it should be fine. I've never used the white though, just GE Type I clear.

mike810

Thank god! as this is my second time redoing my baffles for my refugium. The first time i used G.E 2 only to find out its bad for my little fishes. This time I used G.E.1 but in WHITE!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just glad to hear its safe. Now i can let it cure for a few days before i can test out all my new toys. thank you guys.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I take my comment back!!!!

I didn't completey read the post and I am sorry for that. "I have no idea if the white silicone is safe"

cindyp

I asked this same question last week then decided to make sure its safe and bought it from my lfs.

livebait

I used GE type I clear to silicone the baffles in my sump. There were no ill effects to my fish, corals, pods, or coralline. Within 24 hours it had cured to the point that I could lift the 10g sump off the table using the baffle.

mike810

Well guys, just incase anyone was wondering or had the same issue as I did. I have went ahead with the White G.E. 1 silicone and setup my fuge. I let it cure for about 3-4 days till I could not smell a sour vinegar smell coming from the fuge anymore. It has been about 2-3days and my corals and fishes are just fine. In fact, I think they are opening up even more now since I am running phobans and carbon in the fuge. Thanks for all the help and info guys.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike it's good to hear you're having positive results. With that being said I still would not suggest anyone try it. It's just not worth risking your whole system on something as trivial as silicone. We invest BIG $$ on lights and skimmers and it would be a shame (and has been on many tanks) to lose everything over $25 worth of silicone. that's just my
two_cents_0.jpg

Last edited:

revnue

I called all the mentioned silicone manufactures in the thread and they all had said that they either do not carry an aquarium safe sealant any more or never had one. Even the Dow 795. I did find that All-Glass Aquarium Co. Inc not only makes the 1 and 3 oz tubes but the 10 oz corking gun size as well. I bought mine on eBay from this seller gigabit-inc. That's my best recommendation. Good luck.

eBayISAPI.dll

Last edited:

catran

No way will I take a chance! I recaulked a 55g for a friend last summer and if I messed up, it could have killed a 7"-8" cichlid. I will only use All-Glass silicone. If I won't risk killing a cichlid, why would I put anything else on a reef tank or sump? I agree with Al.

GlassMunky

I'll onnly ever use "Aquarium sealant" silicone by All-Glass as well. since its the same stuff they use to make their tanks you know FOR SURE its gonna be safe

livebait

Well since this was dug up anyway....

GE makes the silicone that is packaged in your ALL-Glass aluminum tubes. So in reality you are buying GE Type I at super inflated prices.

Frankie

RS STAFF

catran

GE Silicon I is safe, GE Silicon II will poison the tank. The type II contains an anti-mildew agent that can leech into the water. Regardless of type, let it stand for at least 48 hours before getting it wet so it has time to cure.

BTW, Dow Corning makes All Glass-http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumSilicone.html

Last edited: