Aqua Remora C - Big Piece of Crap

jb61264

I just bought an Aqua Remora C to hang on to my sump/fuge in the bottom of my "WOOD" stand and twice in the last 24 hours at some point the skimmer decides it wants to suck pure water into its collection cup and overflow.

I even have the overflow connection option and have it running into a 2L bottle. It did this last night and luckily I heard the sump start sucking air so I was like "what the hell"...sat there for the next hour drying out the bottom of the stand with a hair dryer...I moved the collection cup O-ring up higher than I had it before and restarted...I watched it for about an hour and then went to bed....when I woke up...same freaking thing!!!!!

Now I'm left wondering if my stand is going to fall apart because of the water damage...I'm seriously going to call this company that makes this joke of a product and let them know that it has become my evangelical purpose in life to make sure that everybody knows what this product will do.

:banghead:

Varga

I would not worry toomuch about stand rotting unless there is a daily leak for several weeks.

rmlevasseur

Wooaaa dude, slow down. I have a Remora Pro and I just LOVE the thing. Are you setting the collection cup properly with the gasket? I have to roll the gasket to the very bottom of the cup to collect drier foam, primarily because I am using it to cure LR. Kepp in mind that ALL skimmers have a break in period and have to be monitored more carefully for the first week or two.

You say the sump started sucking air. Is the pump powering the Remora fully submerged and not sucking in air itself?

My only complaint about the RemoraPro is that the collection cup does not have a drain hole, but that would be an easy mod.

jb61264

I started with the collection cup setting halfway up with the O-ring...if this product has the possibility of sucking PURE WATER into its collection cup and overflowing like this THEY SHOULD STATE THAT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS...don't you think? and why do they even have a setting that could do this (suck nothing but pure water into the collection cup)?

I understand "monitoring" it during the "break-in" period but for crying out loud, I should have to babysit the damn thing overnight and wonder if its going to do this.

I HAVE the drain hole modification that they provide and have it running into a 2L bottle....the 2L bottle overflowed!!!!

Yes, my Remora's pump is completely submerged

burning2nd

is the screw in the pipe that comes from the pump? what pump are you useing...

sounds like you did something wrong..

the break in period means it wont do anything for a few days....

you shouldnt have to babysit it at all....

what modificiation.. have you contacted them?

your the first person i ever hurd that was unhappy

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have heard way to many good things about this skimmer for you to change my mind on the quality of it.
I would calm down and try to figure out what you did wrong. Could you post some pictures so we can try and help you figure out what is wrong?

What pump are you useing to feed it?

rmlevasseur

Any skimmer can overflow, but based on the design of the Remora it is the LEAST likely to do so, because there is no gate valve on the thing. The possibility of overflow is common knowledge. Something is wrong either with the skimmer or your setup of it.

What pump are you using with it? The regular comes with the Rio and the pro comes with the magnum. Are you using something different?

lcstorc

Mine came with a MJ 1200. I have never and I repeat never had any problems with it. Initially it produced microbubbles and was a bit noisy but that was eliminated about a week after running it. Is the unit level? I know if mine becomes unlevel (when I empty the cup it will act a bit wierd but nothing like what you describe.
I would call or email the company and see what they say. It is likely a problem they have run into before and they can tell you how to fix it.
Best if luck.

jb61264

is the screw in the pipe that comes from the pump? what pump are you useing... sounds like you did something wrong.. the break in period means it wont do anything for a few days....
you shouldnt have to babysit it at all.... what modificiation.. have you contacted them? your the first person i ever hurd that was unhappy
Mine came standard with the MJ 1200...the pump fits right onto the tubing from the skimmer for the MJ...I believe the other pump they use (Rio?) requires an adapter but not the MJ.

I have definately contacted them

jb61264

I have heard way to many good things about this skimmer for you to change my mind on the quality of it.
I would calm down and try to figure out what you did wrong. Could you post some pictures so we can try and help you figure out what is wrong?

What pump are you useing to feed it?
I followed the instruction sheet they provide to the "T"...I have the MJ 1200 pump that is provided...had the O-ring halfway (which I thought might be safe to start with...stupid me to assume that) and now it is as high as it can go with the drain adapter fitting I had added to mine (an option that is available from the manufacturer).

I wish I would have taken pictures of everything flooded out but I was in WAY too much of a panic state trying to soak up water and clean up the mess to think about taking pictures. I'll snap a few of the installation tonight and post them.

panmanmatt

Are you using any water conditioners such as Stress Coat or anything of that nature in the tank? Those types of products are notorious for overflowing skimmers.

BoomerD

I ran several Remora skimmers, both the "standard" and Pro versions. I NEVER had any kind of problem like the OP experienced. I too suspect that POSSIBLY, there was something he missed during installation. Personally, I always thought the drain fitting on them was a waste. Mine worked so efficiently that I had to clean the cup every time I emptied it...the center tube would clog up with gunk if I didn't...BTW, they are designed so that if the cup overfills, the excess will simply go into the center tube and back into the tank water. Not exactly desirable, but definitely better than all over the floor.
FWIW, I ran my Remora Pro with a variety of pumps, from the stock Rio 1400 and Mag 3 all the way through Mag 7 pumps with no problems.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I understand "monitoring" it during the "break-in" period but for crying out loud, I should have to babysit the damn thing overnight and wonder if its going to do this.

I don't know of any external skimmer that will not overflow. The AquaC is an excellent skimmer and suspect that it's overflowing because of improper installation. If the problem continues AquaC has great customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to contact them.

bluespotjawfish

I was also suckered into the drain tube on mine, but because of the potential for it to "empty" water from the tank, I decided it is much better as Boomer said to allow it to overflow back into the tank. Get rid of the drain tube, you won't be sorry. You can buy a plug for it, but I just loop a piece of plastic tubing up and over the top of the skimmer back down into the basket located in the tank.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was also suckered into the drain tube on mine, but because of the potential for it to "empty" water from the tank, I decided it is much better as Boomer said to allow it to overflow back into the tank
BoomerD. He hates being called boomer :D