Apex aquacontroller Trouble

steved13

PREMIUM
I don't know what DMZ hosting is. I didn't use anything like that.

I did a quick google, It doesn't sound like you need it.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I need to open ports on the Actiontec, should I use Port Forwarding or DMZ Hosting? Why?
Port Forwarding and DMZ Hosting are two ways to accomplish the same thing, opening ports. Where Port Forwarding is selective and specific, DMZ Hosting is indiscriminate and wide open. If you need to open one port or a small range of ports, or even a combination of both, Port Forwarding is the best choice. If the list of ports that need to be opened is long and complicated, it may be tempting to use DMZ Hosting, but it should still be avoided unless the security of the machine in question is not critical. The only time that DMZ Hosting is appropriate, is when it can be used without compromising the security of the network.

Examples where DMZ Hosting might be appropriate:
1. Devices like game consoles or web-cams with a limited Operating System
2. A server designed for that type of an environment
(like a proxy server or a server with hardened security)
3. Possibly a gaming computer, but it is not recommended
(At the very least the computer may need frequent reloading of the OS)

The difference between Port Forwarding and DMZ Hosting is security. While any open port will slightly degrade security, it is possible to maintain a level of security on a network that utilizes Port Forwarding. It is not really possible to keep a network secure using DMZ Hosting, unless the network or some of it's critical components are designed for it.

Rule of Thumb:
Use Port Forwarding as the primary tool for configuring ports.
Use DMZ Hosting only when it is required.

I got this from Actiontecs website.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Steve, whats confusing me is that i cant find a port forwarding tab just a Dmz tab but sounds like a security risk.I guess im going to have to buy a new router.

steved13

PREMIUM
Not that I know anything about networking, but from what you posted, and what I read on a quick search (which is similar to what you posted) it sounds like both should be available.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I gotta interject here. Pour a cold one. Ur in good hands it'll just take time. Just the cold one helped me. :beer::thumbup:

,......im Matt n i support this message

steved13

PREMIUM
Michael, I'm going to have to take a break...I need to go study.

"study what Steve?"

Study the inside of my eyelids...

steved13

PREMIUM
I can't open that link, it's username and password protected. I'm not sure the link I posted above is for the same model that you have. If you have a different model, you might want to google it and see if you can find where to access the Port forwarding. Check that site I posted first, there are some screenshots that might help.

I'm off to bed, I'll check in tomorrow.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
So hows the apex treating u?

I got everything set up it works great I just cant seem to get my signature to show up at reefchat. Still waiting for a mod to help me figure it out.

dmatt88

What all goodies u get with it? Probes ato etc.

jpsika08

Matt,
With the Apex you get basically the Display, the center module which supports, Temp, 2 Probes (2 PH or PH and ORP), USB connections to expand the system to other modules an EB8 intelligent outlet which brings 8 outlets, all this for 400 USD :)

dmatt88

Matt,
With the Apex you get basically the Display, the center module which supports, Temp, 2 Probes (2 PH or PH and ORP), USB connections to expand the system to other modules an EB8 intelligent outlet which brings 8 outlets, all this for 400 USD :)

Grrrrr.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What all goodies u get with it? Probes ato etc.

Matt,
I just bought the Jr it only comes with temp probe and 4 controlled outlets. I also purchased the Probe module 1 and a PH probe.I didnt need the display because i just use my Iphone.