Anyone use a sump on thier RSM 250?

Bigjacko

I was wondering if anyone runs a sump using the extention on thier RSM 250.

If so how do you do it and pics please.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I received my sump yesterday. I'm waiting on my Lifereef overflow and I will begin setting it up. Once the project starts, I'll be posting pics on my tank thread.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes, I did a fit check on it last night and it fits perfectly. The Eshopps RS-75 sump is 18" long x 10" wide x 16" high. The cabinet on the 250 is about 19 inches deep so it has to go in that way, but it will still work fine. When I did the fit check I put the "vacuum" hose to the sump in the back and it left the back cutout of the stand perfectly. I'll post some pictures soon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yes, I did a fit check on it last night and it fits perfectly. The Eshopps RS-75 sump is 18" long x 10" wide x 16" high. The cabinet on the 250 is about 19 inches deep so it has to go in that way, but it will still work fine. When I did the fit check I put the "vacuum" hose to the sump in the back and it left the back cutout of the stand perfectly. I'll post some pictures soon.

Good news! I know the cabinet dimensions on the 250 are different than the 130. If the 250 cabinet were braced without the center partition it sure would make things easier!

tnwillia

BigJacko.... look at the 250 mods thread also, there are several Fuge/Sumps in there including mine, also Aramis put one on his, it's in the RSM club threads about 4 or 5 pages back. The big thing with the 250, if your using the cabinet you have 16x16" workable space give or take just a little. In mine, which is just fuge & return (no real sump area) that worked out to about 17 gal addition. Good luck!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The stand area on my RSM 250 is 19" deep x 16.5" wide by 26.5" high. The Eshopps RS-75 sump fits in it perfectly. Here's a picture of the sump and the second one is the sump inside the cabinet.

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

tnwillia

goma... that looks great, wasn't sure you were going to get your door closed but it fits fine. Have fun!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see you managed to get the older style RS-75, without that large black plastic section for the drian pipe covering a good part of the skimmer section. That will make it a lot more convenient to put equipment in there, as well as accessing it for maintenance.

ErnestoC

Hello,

I am new to this and I purchased a RSM 250... My question is... I need to get extra an overflow box system? I do not have a chiller installed, can I use those connections for the sump and avoid the overflow box system?

Thank you in advanced for any help.

catran

Lifereef.com sells overflows and modified covers for RSM's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tnwillia

No, IMHO you still need the overflow box in the 250. You can use the accessory port 5/8" connections for other things (chiller) but the overflow box is your safety switch between the DT and sump preventing flooding your floor. The Lifereef RSM Nano Prefilter is not only the best overflow you can get, it was designed for the RSM tank and the deeper inter cup needs of the RSM back chambers. Good luck!

Understanding Sumps

ErnestoC

Lifereef.com sells overflows and modified covers for RSM's.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Catran for this information.

No, IMHO you still need the overflow box in the 250. You can use the accessory port 5/8" connections for other things (chiller) but the overflow box is your safety switch between the DT and sump preventing flooding your floor. The Lifereef RSM Nano Prefilter is not only the best overflow you can get, it was designed for the RSM tank and the deeper inter cup needs of the RSM back chambers. Good luck!

Understanding Sumps

Thanks Tom for all this information, I was asking this because I have a slight problem with my tank.... it is 2 1/2 inches separated from the wall, novice detail... that is why I was trying to know if I can avoid to have external equipment on the back.

So now I have another question... how many water do I need to take out from the tank in order to be able to move it safely?

Thanks for all your help!

tnwillia

My Lifereef RSM Nano prefilter is 3 3/8" deep, because sooner or later your going to need to get your arm (or more) back there I'd say you need a minimum of 8" (12" is better) between wall and back of the tank. I've never moved mine, but if i was doing it in a new tank I'd take the water down (into rubbermaid/brute cans, rock into the cans too) to an inch or so above the sand ( if you have fish you'll have to leave a couple more inches of water in there), find 4 good friends and try to move tank and cabinet at the same time out as far as you need it. Then put the rock and water back into the tank. Actual "doing it" I'd guess would be 15 minutes, longer with prep and after work. Again I've not done this and others will jump in with better suggestions on doing this. Good luck!

ErnestoC

Tom, thank you so much for your advise, I will consider moving it in order to have some space in the back, you are right, sooner or later I will need to work on the back of it.

I will need many cans for this... hehe