anyone know why......

phantom2991

every fish casualty i have ever had has been fish suicide by jumping out of the tank. had another one this evening. anyone know why this happens and if there is anything i can do besides the obvious constructing a better cover for the top?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Its a mystery. Devon just had a few jumpers. I guess i'm lucky in all the years only 1 wrasse has ever jumped on me.

Welcome Back

kain101

other than a support group to help them deal with their problems so they don't want to commit suicide, i would definately say get a better cover. fish jump for various reasons unless you figure out why the fish jumped (i.e.- being spooked or being chased by another fish etc, a better screen would be your best bet

sk8rdn

Stray current. Got a grounding probe?

Did hubby walk by the tank naked? I had a fish jump out and commit suicide after I walked past my tank naked... Just saying...

...."Fish" Happens!....

phantom2991

thanks guys. i thought both of my clowns had jumped but i was only able to find one body behind the tank, but during feeding time the other showed up to eat so it wasnt as bad as i thought. still sad to loose half of my pair though. :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear !
1346.gif

Doogle

That's a bummer isn't it? I lost half my killi pair in a fresh tank. One ay gone no trace, think my cat or dogs swallowed him/her up.

Just throwing an idea at ya here :) Light shock? Do your lights come on slowly or abruptly? I have one clown that smacks the lid EVERY morning AND night when the lights turn on and off...poor girl, hope she remembers bow to lay eggs anymore LOL

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
It's a natural thing, they jump in the wild. I found my 6 line in my overflow last month, it took a week to catch him and get him back into the DT.

dmatt88

Sorry Candace. Glad u could keep one tho!

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ground probe "might" help and they are cheap enough to give it a try...certainly can't hurt.

phantom2991

thanks guys. i dont think the other clown is gonna make it though. after his mate jumped, now he is just staying in one spot and not really eating. i think he misses her.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I had the same thing happen to my pair of maroon clowns. I lost the male when the tank got ick. She eventually came around after she mourned him for a bit.

Give him time, he may surprise you and snap out of it. Good luck!

phantom2991

i sure hope so. i was so excited to see he was still in there but now it just makes me sad to see him just laying there.