Anenome problem

Adrienne

Looking for suggestions.

My anenome was doing well. Seemed happy and had established itself in its preferred spot in my tank and was feeding. One day looking really good, the next day sort of dangling down, semi closed with really short tentacles. It's been this way for a week now.
I've noted that my skunk cleaner shrimp seems to like its spot, spending quite a bit of time standing nearby or over it.
This happened about two days after I added a second anenome to the tank, not in the same spot though.
I have discovered a crab in my tank, no idea what type, its about 3cm in size umm just over 2 1/4 inches.
Any suggestions as to what the cause might be.

I've also noticed that my pulsing xenia, sitting in the same area of the tank is looking smaller in size, as is a kenya tree coral by the pulsing xenia.

Snelly40

Can you describe your tank and lighting/water params a bit?

This will be helpful... Also how long has the tank been running?? Two anemones could be a bit much on the bio load but they are picky about a lot...
What's the alkalinity and salinity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirrealism

^^^^ All good questions and need that info. Also need to know what kind of nems we are talking about. The fact that you have corals showing signs of issue to me says water quality is down. Start doing some more water changes to get your quality up. What are you parameters? What do you test with? Where do you get your water from? Is it 0TDS. What salt do you use? Ect? Any info you can give will help us help you

reefer gladness

In my experience a nem pouting like that for more than a day or two is due to water quality or stability issues. All good questions above. Bioload is not a factor unless you overfeed.

A large (25-30%) water change is probably in order but do test water quality first so you can identify the problem.

Adrienne

Oops I didn't link my reef chronicle to this thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...-red-sea-max-c-250.92215/page-13#post-1294576

Red Sea Max C-250 been running for around 9 months. Type of anemone unknown - here is a photo of it

IMG_2255_zpsa8iy4ykc.jpg

Salinity 1.025 remains stable, I have ATO
Alkalinity is an issue - usually around 6-7. A few days before I had trouble with this anemone I did dose twice to up it to 7. Could this have been it - it was at 5 beforehand?
Salt is Dupla Marin Premium Reef Salt

Lighting is not the reef spec that the tank came with as it has been extremely difficult to locate the tubes in NZ
Currently running 4 giesemann tubes + 2 reef spec while I wait another three weeks for 2 more giesemann to arrive. I do have them in different order to the original tubes but this has not changed while I have had the anemone.

The rest of my corals seem just fine although bubble and frogspawn don't seem to appreciate the new lights - I do wonder if the lighting is too blue orientated for them.

sirrealism

Ok this helps. First off this is a bubble tip."Not sure of the color" Has it always looked like this as far as color? It looks bleached!!! If it had better color in the past then its getting to much light. When I say more color I mean more green or red to it as those 2 colors are the common colors. Have you feed it. If it is bleached you will need to feed it a couple times per week. Small meaty pieces of food. Mysis or pieces of krill work well or even little pieces of deli shrimp will work 2. I may have missed it but how long have you had this Nem? If its been this color all along then I am even more concerned. Maybe there is someone here who has seen this color before and if so please speak up. I dont know if you would be able to but IMO that nem is bleached and needs to be moved down to the bottom of the tank so it can heal. Do a search on Bubble tip nems and you will see all the colors. Well I might be wrong! I just did a google search of them and I do see a couple very light colors. HMMMMMM I dont know if the ones in the pics are healthy. I would start feeding it anyway. Normally they have a color to them and thats there ability to feed off of light. When they turn white they loose the ability to feed from the light. "Put in to simple terms" As I said I could be wrong but I have kept Nems for many years and have yet to see a very light color bubble tip that was healthy. I really hate second guessing myself!

Snelly40

all good advice... the one thing i'd differ on in this case buddy is the bleaching, i'd lean towards not enough light. Anemone's will bleach if they dont have proper light, yhes in some cases too much light can cuase them to retreat and belach but im thinking in this case it's not enough light. Anemone's require alot of light and the op mentioned having trouble finding the right lightbulbs...

sirrealism

Snelly Though you very well might be right. The big question is what color and how long have you had it. I went though this with a carpet nem. I bought it and had never seen a white with green tint carpet and thought it was very cool looking. Come to find out it was bleached and how I got it back was to reduce light and feed it. If its not bleached then yes your right on and it might need more light. Though bubble tips require less light then most Nems. Where is the nem? Is it high on the rocks or low? We need more info.

sirrealism

You might notice that i have but dont talk about much a 100g Nem tank. I have 9 nems in this tank. I also have some more nems in other tanks. I have gone through nem bleaching a few times. Once again Snelly very well might be right. But if it is a bleached nem then reducing light and feeding is the way to go. Like I said we need to know how long you have had it and what color it was when you got it. Has it changed color at all? darker or lighter?

Adrienne

I got it at the beginning of March. Now I have to think - when I got it it had a pale greenish tinge to it and was a lot smaller than the photo above. It moved around the bottom of the tank for a while before opening and when it did it was the colour you see then it moved to where you see it in the photo below - on the right hand side of the bigger piles of rock just behind the melon zoa and just below the emerald green zoa It is only in the light when it opens right up. That is where it is now. I have been feeding it and it was happily taking the food including the day before it suddenly deteriorated. However it is not white now it is all scrunched up and droopy - it is a greenish colour. The power head on the right of the tank does not put current on to it.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-3_13-50-6.png
    upload_2015-5-3_13-50-6.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: