Anemone Missing

Shayan

So, I recently upgraded my lights from T5 to MH and my long tentacle anemone started moving around a couple of days ago and now I can't find it anywhere.
My concern is that it dies somewhere and then messes up my water chemistry. Do you guys think that my CUC will take care of the dead body or should I start looking for it under my live rock?

its probably hiding in or under your rock, mine does this from time to time. And the spots it gets into, ive no clue how it even fit.(mines a Haitian anemone)

Shayan

haha, I know. i just don't want ammonia spike in the tank because a small anemone didn't like new lights

sambrinar

there is no way the CUC will eat it, unless you have like a million of them or some Piranha!! they are too big and often the CUC can't make a dent in something that size. Small or not

I agree it is probablly hiding under a rock. if it is dying it will fall to the sand then get it out ASAP!!!!!! it can nuke even the biggest tanks....

I had a small to med sized BTA that got stuck in the PH and the clowns kept messing with it and it couldnt recover. So I decided to move it to a 10 gal using the same tank water JUST in case... I came back to the office (where my tank is) and the 10gal water was WHITE!! I couldn't see thru it.. no body was recovered, it's like it exploded in there. TG I moved it out of the 75 gal DT

Hence no more nems for a while

deehz

Yes, you want to make sure that he is alive. Most anemones love high lighting especially the MH's so it must have been a flow issue, or he just wanted to move.

Either way, your CUC will not take care of it fast enough if it did already die. You want to find it ASAP because the anemone will throw your water chemistry out of whack in a hurry. If your water looks cloudy and smells bad, then it is most likely gone. Find it, get rid of it, and do an initial 80% water change. After that, keep doing water changes every other day of about 50% to stabilize your chemistry in the tank. Good luck.

Shayan

good news, today I found it "walking" behind a live rock. He's moving back to his initial place, kinda crazy...

sambrinar

YEA!! A huge relief huh!! I don't miss stressing about mine I have to admit, but my clowns do miss their hotel I'm sure

Shayan

I just don't know why it's so unhappy, cause i didnt change the flow I just changed the lights.

Prob just had a cramp in its foot and needed to walk it off, :laughroll haha glad to hear its all good though, new lights may have just triggered it to look for a better location then found it liked where it was best

Seth

Check out your sump... I had one actually go through the overflow into the piping and ended up in my sock filter... I rescued him and put him back on the rock pile... been happy ever since.

Seth

Check out your sump. I had one actually go through the overflow into the piping and ended up in my sock filter. I rescued him and put him back on the rock pile, been happy ever since.

lcstorc

Glad to hear it came back.
Any change to the system forces them to adapt. New lighting would definitely be something it needs to adjust to even if long term the new lights are better for it.

eurasian.damsel

Hi fellow reefers,
I live in Singapore and m currently back in the reefing scene after a few yrs of absentia when I decom my tank 5 yrs ago .. thought I'd ask some advice regarding a carpet anenome in my tank. I bought this beautiful purple specimen together w/ 2 ocellaris clowns abt 2mths ago. They came as a pkg. After introductn to my tank (on a rock close to the sandbed), it shifted positions abt 4 times b4 it finally settled down on a rock high up near the MH lights. The last couple of weeks, I noticed it contracting to almost nothing when the lights went off at night. 3 days ago, it fell off its perch onto the sandbed. I have just managed to retrieve it (w/ great difficulty) & moved it to the refugium (just in case it was still alive?). The CA was removed today as I realised that it had changed colour and on removal noticed a foul smell which confirmed it was indeed dead!

I have 2 other carpet anenome (blue & green) thriving well so m puzzled why this 1 has behaved the way it has. My tank did unfortunately hv a 1 day chiller problem 2wks ago which brought up the temp to 32degC for 36 hrs b4 it was rectified. I have also just finished a 4-day course of GoodbyePO4 treatment wh has brought my PO4 levels (fr 0.5mg/L to 0.05 in 4days). Can't think of anything else what wld affect it as the enclosed ecosystem is highly buffered & other than the PO4 levels, all other water parameters within acceptable levels. Does have any constructive comments to this mystery?

wm23oh

You may want to start your own thread but it sounds like (without any true background information) maybe they waged a chemical war or your's was just injured before you got it.

Best wishes,

James

eurasian.damsel

O very sorry ... apologies for "hijacking" this thread .. 1st time back (after awhile) & wasn't sure where to post .. do I need a moderator remove to a new thread? Anne.

Shayan

so... it's gone again. he was happy for a couple of weeks ( or at least i thought it was happy) tonight when i was checking my tank, I couldn't find it. I don't know whats wrong with it cause nothing has been changed in my tank in the past month..

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like a normal anemone reaction to lighting changes to me. I would not worry just yet. Keep a close eye on it when you can until it settles down.
Anne, just go start another thread and copy past your post here in it. When done let me know in PM and I will delete you post here.

Shayan

haha, the problem is that I can't find it. It loves hiding behind live rocks. Last time it was gone for almost a week and I thought I lost it. I'm gonna monitor Ammonia levels everyday just in case

GrendelPrime

lol after hearing all these crazy stories about them disapearing or power heads choppin them up to bits i dont think i would ever have 1..i dont think my nerves can handle it :)