Anemone Club!

aquaman3680

Re: Carpet club!

Doni, ill start trying new things as far as feeding goes!

Anyone that wants to become an honorary member let me know and ill add you to the will have one soon list!

Michael- I have never had mine eat any fish! I have seen my scooter blenny touch it a couple times but has gotten away fast both times! I have mine in a softie, LPS, and SPS tank. You can check out my chronicle in my signature to see what all i have with the carpet in there! How old is your tank? this is also major factor!

Matt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

I need more information before I jump in. I have enough light, and I think I have enough room, but I have always heard that they are very hard to keep.
Tell me about them..

Although the Haddoni is relatively hardy it's a very aggressive and will eat your fish, even the big ones ! They also get quite large, the one at my LFS is almost 3 feet in diameter.

IMHO i dont think they are harder to keep than a fish if you have the light!

I have to disagree ! I think we need to make a clear distinction between the carpets as not all of them are the same. The Stichodactyla Gigantea and Mertensii are VERY difficult to keep in captivity. These guys come from shallow water and it's very difficult to match the amount of light they receive in the wild and they ship very poorly. I would suggest you avoid these IMHO.

aquaman3680

Cheeks i agree with you, i guess what i should have said is that if you get a healthy one to begin with then they are fairly easy to keep! I have had 0 problems with mine other than the occasional move.

Matt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Cheeks i agree with you, i guess what i should have said is that if you get a healthy one to begin with then they are fairly easy to keep! I have had 0 problems with mine other than the occasional move.

Matt which one do you have, the Haddoni ? If so then yes if you get a healthy specimen and you have a well established tank with proper lighting then it should thrive.

I had a Haddoni and it made quick work of my 5+" Blue Throat Trigger and it also kept moving around which is another problem if you have a tank full of corals so I decided to get rid of mine, it was beautiful but I didn't want a tank dedicated to it.

michael_cb_125

My tank is still pretty young. I have had fish and corals in it for about 4 months. I have had zero ammonia, nitite, and nitrate for about 5 months. I have an awquisite wrasse, blue tang, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Lyretail Anthia, and two pajamma cardinals. I dont want any of these guys to get eaten. Also I already had a LTA that is doing great. I dont want him to be eaten either. How dificult are the Haddoni Carpet Anemones. And if I get a clown for it will he help to keep the other fish away? QUESTIONS QUESTIONS,,,SO MANY QUESTIONS. I would not get one right now anyways, I dont think that my tank is old enough.I is very stable, but I would want to make sure before taking on sucha challenging animal.

aquaman3680

Yes i have a haddoni!

I think one of the main reasons that i have not had anyone get eaten by it is because of my saddleback. He is pretty aggressive to anyone who tries to go near 'his' anemone! He really does keep the other fish away! Mine has actually been very easy but make sure it is healthy before you buy it! These are not the animals to do rescue missions on! I am also very lucky with the saddleback as they are one of the roughest on the carpets, they can actually kill them because of how rough they are with them! Mine really doesnt seem to bother the carpet so i am very thankful for that!

Matt

michael_cb_125

Would I have any problems Keeping a carpet and LTA in the same tank?
Ive read that you should not keep Carpets with other anemones under 12 inches. Is this true?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

I had my Haddoni with a couple of BTA's and that's probably one of the reasons why he moved around alot, the good thing was the BTA's like to attach themselves to the rockwork and the Haddoni prefers the SB. Now with an LTA this situation could be a problem since both like the SB.

michael_cb_125

That is what I was thinking. I gues I will just have to wait a while on this one. I dont want to rush into anything.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF

My haddoni does move around sometimes. It is now on the glass all the way at the top. I think it is craving more light which means my reeflux 10k's aren't bright enough... I guess I should switch back to my XM10 k's. Bummer! I really liked the reeflux.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

It is either searching for more light or warmer water. The Aquacontroler III's seasonal temp is at 77 now. What do you think...

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Fyi... haddoni carpet anemones will have a smooth underside like mine pictured below.
10022006undersideofpurplecarpet.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Bad news for my carpet. It was sucked into my hydor korallia powerhead. :( I turned the power head off and am letting it withdraw on its own. From what I have seen so far, there is no significant damage...

5:19 pm
20070512CaughtHaddoni002.jpg

6:46 pm
20070512CaughtHaddoni010.jpg