Andy's 29 Gallon Reef

Cassette87

Tell me about it :) the sale's going on into next week, so i'll be checking back for more when i'm home from FL :D

Cassette87

Okay.. so time for an update!

So here's what's new:

-Got my RO/DI system from Jack... haven't had a chance to use it yet though!
-Got My pom pom xenia from Bill... which you can see above the "cave" under zoa mountian :)
-Got my Zoa Frag from Victor... HOLY COW nice V! Thanks!
-Took a razor blade to a couple of my Ricordea florida.... please everyone wish them luck! I've never fragged a shroom before!

Here's some pics! Enjoy!

Thanks Bill & Vic for the frags! Vic, shoot me a PM and let me know what days are good for you to receive the coral :)

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

cassette87clam.jpg

Cassette87

Haha vic they are very bright orange under my pc actinic + blue LED's They almost look like satan's breath pallys... :D

Cassette87

Well made my first useable 5 gallons of water with my ro di unit.. I let it run for ~2 hours just draining into the sink... hopefully this was enough of a break in? I also noticed that my water pressure reading on the unit is only ~50 PSI will this be an issue?

I don't want to use the water yet if I shoul've "cycled" the unit longer. Any input guys and gals? :) Thanks!

goldenmean

Andy I have heard to discard the first couple of gallons that a new RO/DI unit makes so you should have let it run more than enough in that 2 hours.

50 psi is just a tad below the optimum psi of 60.
Honestly I ran my RO/Di unit for a year on 22psi (yes 22psi) and I just had to change my filters. The low psi meant that it took me 5-6 hours to make 5 gallons. I did just buy a booster pump when I ordered my new filters so my psi is now 60-65 and I can make 5g of RO in just over an hour. The real reason I decided to buy a booster pump was so that I would not waste so much water.

funkpolice

those red/black zoas are sweet. Let me know if you ever have any extras. Those sun corals are growing really fast, so if you feel like giving them a try, I'll frag you up some.
bill

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks great. i love that clam!
Your aquascaping is very nice. If the coralline was not on the back wall it would really bring out the scape better. Just a thought. Some like it like that.

Cassette87

Well, I'm back in again for the long haul folks, after a long summer of spending 5 minutes at home at any given time, the season is winding down and I'm settling back into my work in the day school in the night routine; this also means I'll be frequenting RS once again :)

So here's an update on myself as well as my reef!

-I received my A.A.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering as well as Certification in Computer Animation and 3D Graphics. Now I'll be working on my B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

-I'm Applying for a second, part time job a LFS.. which could lead to be an interesting experience!

-Recently discovered the "The Reef Aquarium" series of books, which are FANTASTIC resources, which I suggest to anyone in the hobby!

-As for my side projects, my DIY LED's are at a standstill. I will be experimenting with coral growth in the coming months...
I'm also working on a permanent magnet motor, a "perpetual motion" machine if you will, laugh if you must... study the work of Tesla and magnetism if you are a doubting Thomas.

and now for the Reef!

-I've recently picked up some new Ricordea florida, which are doing awesome! I've also worked up the courage to take a razor to one of my R.florida, and sure enough both pieces are growing back.

-My T. Derasa clam, despite all odds (of people saying PC light is insufficient) is doing wonderfully in my tank, as is my brown monti, though the mushroom next to the monti needs to go, as it's fighting an ongoing war

-my zoanthids are growing wonderfully and I seem to be winning the fight against my red macro which is awesome!

-I've given away some of my mushrooms, and will happily trade or send anyone some for only the shipping expenses if anyone is interested.

-ordered new bulbs that should be here tomorrow... 10k/6.7k 50/50 and a 460nm/420nm 50/50. I chose to go with the 10k/6.7k 50/50 in hopes of encouraging more growth from my coral, though hopefully the color won't yellow out too much!

Enough talking... onto the pictures!

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

caitrina

Hey Andy,
Look at that you made me log into this place...lol I've been a busy bee, working on crafty things, my house got nailed by the tornado from Fay so it is torn up, fighting insurance co, and all the other things in life happening keep me busy. Anyway, look at Pinky wow she is pretty. where is a pic of the baby? How is the baby? Glad to see you Andy.

Cassette87

Well.... as Nostradamus once predicted, Andy would again return to RS! Just wanted to say Hello to Everyone!

The reef has been doing nicely, despite my entirely "hands off" approach!

~~~HEADLINE NEWS~~~

PINKY BABIES ARE CONFIRMED
There are in fact 2 healthy, and growing Pinky babies! Pictures later tonight.

MONTIPORA GROWTH DOUBLES!
Take that... those of you who say PC light just wont do!

MUSHROOMS OUT OF CONTROL!
Does anyone want mushrooms!?

FTS's
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

You can see the two of the pinky babies here.. kinda hard but they're there, and turning pink :)
IMG_0029.jpg