Ammonia level stalled

rgslady

Just wanted to know if this is normal or not. Got my RSM 250 4-6. Built 4-7, with 60 lbs. CaribSea live sand. Live, "precured" rock, Fiji, arrived and installed on 4-9....90 lbs. of it. Who knows how the rock was cured, as the only sign of hitchikers I have found are a few feather dusters on one small piece. There are some patches of purple on them, but more white, this I am not concerned with. Used the Nitrobac 4/9, 4/16 and 4/23. 50 ml per instructions.

Temps range 77-80, avg 78 most of the time.
SG 1.023
Alk 9 on startup, up to 12 after addition of Kent Purple up for coralline growth, and has stayed at that level.

My ammonia readings...4/11 - .75
4/14 - .5
4/18 - .25 and have stayed there ever since.
4/25 - .25

Nitrite 4/14 - .5
4/18 - .2 steady until
4/25 - .15

Nitrate 4/14 - 10
4/18 - 20
4/25 - 20

Have gone through the diatom stage, now have the green hair atop the top rocks close to light, so have decreased my lighting time to 6 hours a day.

So although it has only been 18 days, and the process seems to be progressing as it should, for I have read everything I could find, is it normal for the ammonia to just stall at that level for more than a week with no change? Just don't know if there is something I am missing or should be, or not be doing?

Thanks for any help...

Christine

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sounds like all is progressing nicely to me. If you are using the RSM test kits that come with the starter package, could be the ammonia level won't hit zero, I have read lots of post saying this.

Sounds like you have been doing your homework, reading & asking questions if always good - lots of experienced members here to help !

rgslady

Ahhh..now this is news to me. What brand of ammonia tests, or others for that matter are people happy with? And is the complaint limited to the ammonia test of the RSM test kit, or are other tests off?

Thanks so much for responding...

tnwillia

No, the whole test kit. I bought 2 with my starter kits and got crappy reading out of everything but PH in both. I use Salifert primarly and the API Glenn is talking about as a double check if needed. Good luck!

rgslady

Thanks so much for the info...was really getting frustrated. Then I started researching this issue and couldn't believe how many people dissed the red max test kits!! Kind of a shame when you consider how much money is spent on these systems. Aside from this, I have been very pleased with my 250, and am excited for the future of this system. I am online everyday learning everything I can...never getting overwhelmed, only more intrigued.

Such a cool hobby!!!

:spinner:

JimmyJ

I use API myself for all and for Magnesium I use Salifert. API has a nice Saltwater Master test kit that comes with Amm, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH tests. They also have a Reef Master test kit that comes with Nitrate, Ca, Alk and Phosphate tests. I purchased both of the kits and should have the Salifert Mg test here in the next few days. I would suggest getting these online as it's almost half the cost of what the LFS charges, at least mine anyway.

Good luck and welcome.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
:welcomera Christine!

As stated above you've most likely been bitten by the innacurate Red Sea tests. They have had many owners waiting forever for the ammonia to get to zero, and that 0.25 level seems to be a common place for the test to hang up and never get lower. I use Salifert tests, but the API are also good.

Good luck with the tank and welcome aboard!

rgslady

Thank you all...I have already ordered the API master kit from DFS. Will invest down the road for the individual Saliferts as needed.

As far as the pic...as soon as I learn how to do that, it'll be here!! Hopefully by the weekend.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nicely set up Christine! Now you should go set up a tank thread, with a catchy title, and put that full tank shot in as a start. Then we can follow you along and you'll have an ongoing record of your tank as it develops. :)