Amazing SPS for free!!!

RSM2008

This rose colored SPS has sprouted from my Vanuatu LR. Just keeps growing. From nothing to the size of an orange today. Any ideas?

Attachments

• SPS1.jpg
    SPS1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 258
  • SPS2.jpg
    SPS2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 258
  • SPS3.jpg
    SPS3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 255
  • SPS4.jpg
    SPS4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 256

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks like a birds nest. Seriatopora hystrix
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Birdsnest Coral - Pink
1215786237805.gif

Varga

This is amazing. It does look like a birdsnest but not like anything available at stores.

DaveK

I'd say enjoy it. It does look rather delicate in form. Perhaps it will not ship well with out damage. I'd try to frag it as some point. I'm sure you find lots of interest for something unusual.

ReefLady

Staff member
That's gorgeous. The structure looks a little like an Anacropora sp I used to have, but it was not pink. I agree it's very much like a bird nest. Now *that's* a cool HH!

hma

This rose colored SPS has sprouted from my Vanuatu LR. Just keeps growing. From nothing to the size of an orange today. Any ideas?

A kind of Red Algae, Amphiroa foliacea in my eyes and not a kind of SPS, sorry. :surrender:

I could see this Red Algae not very often but with some of my dives in the Great Barrier Reef as well as in Indonesia. In Indonesia she is not as filigree as this one in the picture. One can mistake them really very easy for a SPS coral.

An indicator whether SPS or not is the growth. At at most 1-1,5 cm growth per month a filigree coral like in the picture should be at least 1,5-2 years old. An alga can grow to considerable size within few months, though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'll have to agree with Heinz. (Heinz I cant get that link to work).

Regardless that's a LOVELY HH!!

ReefLady

Staff member

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! It auto-formatted it!

Ok here it is again.. just remove the quotes and paste it

"http://florabase.dec.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/26461"

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I keep getting "Authentication Failure". Is it a setting in my browser? I've never had this problem.

RSM2008

Re: A true SPS...

Sorry Heinz... you are wrong. Algae do not have polyps.

The SPS in question is covered in small yellow polyps. I will try to get a MACRO MACRO photo for you all to gaze upon. Larger pics are in my gallery.

Branches are the size of needles. Polyps retract when small hermits and snails crawl on top of it.

Growth rate has been from a single dot to current size (appox 4" across) in 9 months. Saw first branch about 1 month after the rock went in.

Other outcroppings on other rocks have not gone beyond a single branch (1/4 - 1/2")

Can anyone identify this SPS?