Algae takeover!

jake9015

Hi guys: I have a Red Sea 130D with about 40 pounds of live rock, some zoanthids, Kenya trees, and Xenia. My problem is that I'm looking to sell my tank in a couple of months and that at the moment it's filled with algae and chaeto. I maintain it, doing 1/4 water changes twice a month, I have an ATO system. There are no fish, and the lights are LEDS. The skimmer is a custom reef dynamics upgraded skimmer. I don't want to spend too much money fixing the problem because I need to sell. Any suggestions?

saltfan

I suggest trying to pass on the live stock ( zoos, kenya, xenia ) to someone or LFS and selling the tank and equip. either together or separate...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would try lights out for two weeks... if you lose the Kenya trees, and Xenia, some will consider this a plus. Many consider them starter corals & once they start reproducing they wish they didn't have them. I doubt if lights out for two weeks will even hurt them.

But the algae needs light... it should knock it back quite a bit. See what others think....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If it's Green Hair Algae....add a few large Mexican Turbo Snails. They will "go to town" eating it down & then you'll have to deal with lots of snail poop. :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jake since you're going to try and sell it anyway definitely try the "Lights Out" method per Glenn. I mean totally lights out not even room light. I did this on a tank a few years back and I made a "Light Deprivation Chamber" by building a cardboard box that "loosely" fit over the tank and all wires. This way ambient light didn't help to feed the algae.

If you do this you'll want to get ready for a good size water change and whole tank scrub at the same time you re-introduce light. Get a good stiff "kitchen dishes brush" and scrub like your life depends on it. Then do a large water change and see how much that helps.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Just curious WHY you are wanting to sell such a good set up?
Are you going to a larger tank or taking a break from the hobby?
Once SW is in your blood, it's hard to not want to have a tank...or at least it always has been like that for me. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Diana I "think" he's about to have some "location" changes in his life and for the time being needs to simplify things. I would almost bet Jake isn't "Tapping Out" but just taking a break for a while.

jake9015

Al's right..... I will be going off to college in a year or so and would like to sell it in the next 6 months. Il probably keep the ATO and anything else I can use on another tank.

jsgarrido

try selling your cheato algea or give it your LFS, im pretty sure they would take it for there tangs to eat. but the rest just let it die :angel3: