Algae scrubbers

Algae Scrubber?

• Total voters

teesquare

I have seen ATS used off and on over the last 30 years...Here is what I have seen:
Yellow water.....and inevitably - algae that makes it's way into the display tank... And the phenols, and skatols that are released by the algaes irritate many - if not most SPS's.....

If you are changing large amounts of water weekly/monthly, what is the advantage to even running an ATS?

I am not trying to dispute anything - I am looking for answers. What are the advantages?
T

GrendelPrime

i ran a ats for about 6 weeks and i did notice a reduction in film algae on the front glass but my design was flawed so i had to take it down and redesign it and now im noticing the algae back on the glass..i think it helps control but alls i hear are these amazing god like results but never see any before and afters just alot of designs

Val

i ran a ats for about 6 weeks and i did notice a reduction in film algae on the front glass but my design was flawed so i had to take it down and redesign it and now im noticing the algae back on the glass..i think it helps control but alls i hear are these amazing god like results but never see any before and afters just alot of designs

That's enough to make me consider adding it to a system, but keeping the skimmer of course. :)

I'm debating whether to get rid of my fuge and replace it with an ATS. Anyone have any thoughts? (sorry if this is a bit of a hijack)

GrendelPrime

i think its good for supplimental filtration but imo i wouldent rely on it as my only source.u can swing a bat with 1 hand and hit a baseball but swing it with 2 hands and the ball can go alot farther

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1 Grendal

Good addition to any system, I wouldn't rely on it sole keep the fuge add it on this way if something goes wrong your covered.

Goondoo

I am using ATS alone for my 70g. For the pass 2 months, I had never had yellowish water problem. SantaMonica pointed out that the yellowish problem was caused by people refusing to clean the turf as required. Anyway, I had 2 screen and I clean each every 3-4 days. SM recommend weekly havesting.
One thing for sure, the pods are growing like crazy :yup: :yup:

DaveK

I have seen ATS used off and on over the last 30 years...Here is what I have seen:
Yellow water.....and inevitably - algae that makes it's way into the display tank... And the phenols, and skatols that are released by the algaes irritate many - if not most SPS's.....

If you are changing large amounts of water weekly/monthly, what is the advantage to even running an ATS?

I am not trying to dispute anything - I am looking for answers. What are the advantages?
T

I generally agree with your assessment of algae scrubbers. I used one for quite a few years, and experienced similar problems. The current "new school" on algae scrubbers dos make claims that with the new way they are doing things, the old problems don't occur. I fail to see why this would be the case.

I found running my algae scrubber with skimming did resolve the problems your talking about, but then we are more or less right back where we started. If I was going to use this method today, I'd use a scrubber the same way I would a macro algae refugium.

There are some advantages to algae scrubbing. The process can remove a lot of nitrates and phosphates from the water. If the light on the scrubber is a lot different from what is on the display tank, it can keep algae down. You can also get a lot of pod production out of some forms of scrubbers.

GrendelPrime

im curious if u have to use tap water would a ats,fuge and skimmer give u the same quality water compared to someone who uses a ro/di system, probably not but i wonder if it would even be a close comparison

DaveK

im curious if u have to use tap water would a ats,fuge and skimmer give u the same quality water compared to someone who uses a ro/di system, probably not but i wonder if it would even be a close comparison

If you could run the water in a system with just the scrubber for a couple of months, and added nutrients for the algae, then maybe. Algae can remove a lot of toxins and heavy metals.

That being said, it's not really practical. You'd have to do this every time you made new SW.

Just having a normal system with a skimmer would counter productive, because you'd need to add make up water all the time.