Algae scrubbers

Algae Scrubber?

• Total voters

FishHead79

I use one on both systems. On the reef system i use a 150w halogen bulb and harvest every 3 weeks. On the 620 Breeding system I use a 75w High pressure sodium bulb. The system hasn't been setup very long so I will keep you posted when I start harvesting algae.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would like to see some pictures of the tanks that use this setup, as well as the ATS themselves..

Schwa

I just started using one a month ago and my brown algae in my tank vanished in a week. I have not gotten brave enough to shut my skimmer off yet though. For light you dont need any special bulb just a 5 or 6k screw in spiral PC works fine in one of those clamp on dome lights works great. Cost about 20 bucks to make including the light and bulb. Rule of thumb on flow is 35gph per inch of width so 10 inches wide 350gph. Make sure you rough up the screen material with a saw blade or something to help the algae stick it should feel like a cactus across the whole thing. You will start to see it starting in a few days after firing it up. They say you should harvest weekly and make sure you leave some on it or you will start from scratch again. If I had a camera I would take before and after shots but mine is broken .

FishHead79

yeah after I posted that I looked it in the acronyms section..duh
so here is a couple of pictures of the ats I just built

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02083.jpg

You can see I cut it to fit in my 150 gal sump. I did double layers so when I harvested from one I could leave one and not disrupt the system too much. I will take some pictures of the first one i built and post later along with after pictures of this one.

Schwa

much more elaborate than the one I built. I used a piece of needlepoint mesh from Michaels which I inserted into a piece of 1 in PVC which I cut a slot in the side with a dremel after that I put a piece of 1/8 in acrylic on either side of it as a splash shield it is hanging vertically in my sump with the bottom submerged 1 inch or so . When I first made it I didnt put a splash shield on it and made a mess and probably almost electrocuted my tank The splash shield has 3/4 pvc sheet spacers on either side of the screen. THis stuff is kind of hard to come by in small pieces luckily a coworker has a sign business and I can get all the scrap I want. It comes in handy I may even build raised panel doors out of it for my cabinet when I finally trim it out. Very stable and totally impervious to water. I have my scrubber powered by a Rena XP3 canister filter with nothing in it since I didnt have an extra powerhead laying around and it runs at 350 gph which is perfect.

ddinox64

Here is an old shot with skimmer.

And a picture of it minutes ago with scrubber after 6 weeks and no skimmer for 9 weeks.

I see definite improvements as well as things seem to pop back open quicker after being bump or touched. And I just realized after taking these pictures I only have 4 of 6 lights on.

cheely13

I have been using a alge scrubber for about 6 months now with no skimmer the only think i do is use a sock with carbon in it for my corals that i place in new every month i harvest one side every 7 days then the next week do the other side. My tank is very clear and seems to be doing very well. all tests are good. I do, do a 15 to 20 percent water change every week you know theres nothing like a good old water change.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
ddinox that's what I wanted to see :)

It seems there is always a lack of DT pictures when people are talking about their ATS.

ddinox64

You're right. Makes it hard to convince yourself to make the switch as it did with me. Luckily I hated the constant drone of my skimmer which aided in the push.
I really do see an improvement and I believe my tank is healthier for it.
Cleaned my screen today, tons of pods on it. Hurts to wash those critters down the drain after thinking of the money spent trying to stock them. And I don't like killing beneficial animals. Flies, mosquito/es no biggy.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I am actually considering one as an addon but personally I am still running my standard equipment.

The screen will be 36"x9" with a mag 1800gph to power, my main problem is the lights, if I do 1wpg I will have 8x39w 312w T5ho that's just insane. I can do 4x39w for 156w or CFLs I suppose, what would you do, since I am running all my normal equipment the scrubber may not need to be as big.

1Reefer

I'm with Mini, id like to try one... killer ATS btw fishhead! And great looking tank dd! This may push me over the edge and make this my next project....