Algae problems

Hi everybody. Lately, I have been having problems with algae growth:cry1:. Especially a type called Bryopsis. Does anybody know what might eat this?

Thanks,

6linewrasser

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nothing that I know of. I've read that keeping your magnesium on the high side inhibits its growth/spread.

vsindorf

Many damselfish will tend and eat small turf algae gardens in the wild...maybe a damsel would much at it, but probably not eradicate it. I have had a couple of bad outbreaks like that and my method was to rip it off the rocks during water change, use a toothbrush to scrub the area, and then rinse the area with fresh RODI before refilling and keeping a close eye on water chem.

I have heard of some spurious methods that you could try:
1) squirting hydrogen peroxide directly on the base of algal clumps (you have to be sure not to use very much at a time though because it does affect water quality
2) raising mag levels pretty high until it dies and then doing some big water changes. Some people even dose kent marine magnesium directly on the algae to target kill it. Apparently this method can kill snails, but shouldn't affect other reef inhabitants or corals.

Again, I have only tried the manual removal method. Always worked for me - taking off the bulk by hand allowed snails, etc to pick off the remaining tissue and any new growth.

good luck!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Read up on kent tech-M magnesium.....has to be this kind. Their is something in that which kills the bryopsis. First you should be certain it is bryopsis.....if you are then this is a good treatment. I believe bryopsis is toxic to most things this is why not much eats it.