Algae Problem!

Angel Girl

I'm having a tough time getting algae of the place were it holds my fish tank. I tried everything I know,any tips?:(

elliottb

You need to make sure you do not have excess nutrients like phosphates or nitrates. What kind of algae exactly is it?

Angel Girl

Well it was just normal algae but know it looks this ugly grey colar I will try and get a picture and post it while my dads at work .Although it's kind of tough.

mps9506

Lee,
Do you have any algae eaters in your aquarium yet? I couldn't remember what fish you have. If you don't have any algae eaters I would recommend you get a few to help keep the algae from growing on your plants and aquarium walls.
Maybe a few fish called Otocinclus algae eaters, or another fish called Flying Fox algae eaters would work great.
If the algae on the sides of your tank is really hard and hard to wipe off, ask your dad to use a metal edged algae scraper to scrape it off or show you how to use one. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Putting me to work huh Mike? LOL!
I will take her up to the LFS tomorrow and see what i can find for her in algae eaters. Good call! In my opinion she needs to just use a little more elbow grease ;)

mps9506

Putting me to work huh Mike? LOL!
I will take her up to the LFS tomorrow and see what i can find for her in algae eaters. Good call! In my opinion she needs to just use a little more elbow grease ;)

I was going to recommend a razor blade, but figured Dad may want to be there for that, to make sure the fingers and silicone seams stay safe :)

Stay away from the Chinese algae eaters, if you go with a pleco make sure to get one that won't tear the plants up much, the common plecos would be a bad choice as they get large and would tear up those plants. I can't remember exactly which ones are plant safe but if I recall correctly the clown plecos and rubber plecos might make a good choice as would the Otocinclus cats (these are small so angels might try to eat them) and the flying foxes (seem harder to find in store the last few years).

PEMfish

Plecos don't eat algae, not once they hit about 1.5". They will knock around plants and add to the bio load tremendously, to different degrees with different spices. There are no good algae eaters, they still need to be feed to survive. For them to control algae, you would need alot of them. Then you couldn't keep many other fish. So that rout is best avoided. Cut back on ferts., and see what happens in a month.

Scouter Steve

Is this a planted tank? I was successful for years with a heavy planted tank. Try CO2 injection. It helps the plants grow and outgrow algae. I knew when I was low on CO2 just by an algae bloom. You can get a system to inject CO2 much like a calcium reactor for a reef or just use a yeast setup.

bullytaro

if the algea is on plants, get a siamese algea eater (SAE) if the algea on glass, get some snails then.

if you ate dosing fert, go 30% water change, 2 times a week. it help controling the algea problem.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
one thing I found that really helps with algae outbreaks is to have your lights go off half way thru the photo period for an hour or so, really messes up the algae

There are many ways to manage algae in your freshwater tank. Most are dependent on the fish and if you plan to keep plants.

Otocinclus are always a good idea, but are seasonal in most LFS and small. They will not do well in semi-agressive or agressive tanks.

There are many types of plecos. The Omnivores do not tend to eat algae much. Common plecos get very big and territorial. Bristle nose plecos are the best algae eaters for glass, rock and plants of all the plecos. In y opinion, stay away from the albinos and other colors.

True siamese algae eaters (must be absolutely sure this is what it is) are also good. Fying Fox and chinese algae eaters stop eating algae as adults.

If you have a planted tank, you can make sure your plants out compete the algae for nutrients in the water. Don't over feed the plants. I have a 55 gallon tank that overflows with plants and no algae. I don't even need to scrape the sides. I do not inject CO2. I use Flourish Excel as the only plant additive. I have no ottos. I have 2 rare vegitarian plecos that mainly eat the cucumbers I put in the tank plus they chew on the wood pieces I have in the tank. In other words, the healthy plants do the majority of the work in keeping the algae out.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great info everyone! i never had a planted tank before so i have very little info to give my daughter. I use to breed fresh water fish for money in the 80's but those were BB tanks that got daily water changes. Never had these issues. Lee's tank is pretty clean. It is not as bad as she thinks.