Alex and Kristy's RSM 250

imaccat

Welcome to RS, glad you got the Mantis out.

As per my PM I have the ATO sensor in the right hand chamber as the water level in the left hand chamber can drop if the fine filter gets clogged up and then the ATO pumps water in when it isnt needed.

Good luck

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
i am starting to think my location for the sensors is poor due to the black sponge filter under them.

If it helps, lots of us don't run the black filters, we just removed them and only run the fine filter & clean it regularly - also raising it up about one inch helps as Iain said above

nwfd98

1 Week update.

The tank has been up and running now for 1 week and all is looking great. We are starting to get some Brown Diatoms on the rock and sand. I have had two raw shrimp sitting on the bottom for 5 days now and the number didn't even budge.
just tested my water and this is what i got.
Temp 81.5 High i no so i turned the heater down a bit and turned on the hood fans. hopefully that will bring it down just a tad.
salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
calcium 400
ammonia 0ppm :)
nitrite 0ppm :)
nitrate 10
phosphate 0
kh 8dkh

My skimmer hasnt skimmed anything for the last few days i can turn it up full and i dont even get over flow is this normal or has something plugged up?
Also how long should i leave these shrimps in for. They have bloated up and gone totally clear nasty. Bet they are going to smell awesome when i pull them out of the tank.
Have a good night folks

nwfd98

Hi everyone,
Thought i would post a little update on how things are going. For starters my tank has cycled fully! very fast cycle but i am assuming that had a lot to do with the quality rock i put in. So the other day i put in a few members of a CUC to start dealing with the algae and diatoms. Couple turbo snails, Nassarius Snails,Astrea Snails a cleaner shrimp and some red scarlet hermit crabs. All is looking great water parameters are stable and looking great. I am having one issue with the left side nozzle is pushing a lot of sand. I have a trench on the left side. How have you guys dealt with this issue. It seems like the pump is just a little to powerful. i have adjusted it up down left right make no difference. I also have changed to the chemi pure elite so hopefully that will be better then the stock carbon. those of you running CPE how did you lay it on the rack?

DSC_0821.jpg

little night shot

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks great !

I am having one issue with the left side nozzle is pushing a lot of sand. I have a trench on the left side. How have you guys dealt with this issue

Pointed as you have it, up & to the right just a bit will help as the sand settles in... it will get better, also you will be putting corals in the sand that will help

On my media shelve, I have 2 cpe & 1 100 ml bag of purigen zip tied together, just sitting on the shelve with one small LR just to hold it down

nwfd98

Thought i would give a quick update on the tank. It's been very interesting watching the tank go through some stages over the last few weeks. Brown algae showed up and is now almost all gone thanks to the CUC. Some green algae is starting to show up in the rocks and sand bed. It looks similar to a fern leaf, whats the best way to remove this stuff. Our clowns are doing great very active and pigs when it comes to meal time. They are still juvenile and i have been reading mixed ideas on how much to feed. I was told at my lfs twice a day, is that correct? They really dont seem to like frozen foods that much. What are others feeding their clowns? We also have a cleaner shrimp that has molted once already he is also a pig when it comes to meal time. He is a great source of entertainment. He has his cave and rocky out crop that he hangs out in. My wife caught me one night just watching him and the snails for 45 mins lol. We are very very happy with how the tank is progressing. I am curious though about a few things. The first one being for everyone that is running the filter floss. What color does your turn in say a 24 hour period. Mine is turning brown and is very very dirty. Second what is the best way to clean up the sand bed a little bit. There are a few low flow areas that have collected some small rubble ect. Third what RO/DI units is everyone using.

Thanks

catran

Thought i would give a quick update on the tank. It's been very interesting watching the tank go through some stages over the last few weeks. Brown algae showed up and is now almost all gone thanks to the CUC. Some green algae is starting to show up in the rocks and sand bed. It looks similar to a fern leaf, whats the best way to remove this stuff. Our clowns are doing great very active and pigs when it comes to meal time. They are still juvenile and i have been reading mixed ideas on how much to feed. I was told at my lfs twice a day, is that correct? They really dont seem to like frozen foods that much. What are others feeding their clowns? We also have a cleaner shrimp that has molted once already he is also a pig when it comes to meal time. He is a great source of entertainment. He has his cave and rocky out crop that he hangs out in. My wife caught me one night just watching him and the snails for 45 mins lol. We are very very happy with how the tank is progressing. I am curious though about a few things. The first one being for everyone that is running the filter floss. What color does your turn in say a 24 hour period. Mine is turning brown and is very very dirty. Second what is the best way to clean up the sand bed a little bit. There are a few low flow areas that have collected some small rubble ect. Third what RO/DI units is everyone using.

Thanks

Great your tank is doing well. BTW, the green "fern-like" stuff is Hair Algae. You can add emerald crabs (some people hate emerald crabs) or Hermit crabs to your CUC to get rid of it. If you can, pull it out ASAP. Just try not to let any go floating in the tank, it will reattach to anything.

The filter floss dirt (detritus) is many times related to how much you feed your tank. Its basically fish poop and food, dying stuff from rock and coral, and a little algae etc. it takes mine 2-3 days and it's done for. I tend to over feed.

I use 1/2 tubing to suck up the nasties. It has a much slower flow than the larger stuff. Just be careful not to get sand in it, stay slightly above the sand and wave the tubing around to stir it up as you go. You can also move the sand around with something. Sometimes I use my long handled scraper. Just be careful to only mix the top of the sand. Don't go over 1/4 " into the sanded though.

I use a BulkReefSupply RO/DI unit. It was the least expensive at the time I got mine. I got a 4 stage 75 gpd for $130. We have group buys that automatically make you a preferred customer and will give you a price of $117.00!
Just a side note: I later added the upgrade to 150 gpd, I couldn't stand how slow it was, lol! Some companies don't offer this, make sure you buy from one that does. You can add it anytime later if you din't get it right away.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great advise ^

I feed every other day... my fish love San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack & PE Mysis Shrimp

Aquarium Fish Food: San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack

Piscine Energetics Inc. PE Freshwater Mysis Shrimp

Might add a couple 2 or 3 Turbo snails & a half dozen Trochus they will really put a dent in the HA

I pull my fine filter, take it to the sink, rinse it in warm tap water under the faucet, shake dry & replace it, every couple of days, in a new tank, you might need to do this a couple time a day.

nwfd98

So i have noticed over the last few days some small white specks on the back glass that move around. Thousands of them!! Did a little more research and i am 99% sure they are a form of POD. Are these good? Will they get out of control? I only have the two clown and a cleaner shrimp in the tank right now will the pods affect them? Thanks everyone

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Pods are good to have in the tank. They feed on detritus. A lot of fish eat them and most reefers want them in the tank. Good sign that your tank is going well if they are multiplying. They won't bother your fish or shrimp.

nwfd98

So i am trying to figure out what our next fish is going to be. We want to get something that is either colorful or entertaining to watch. I have heard that blennies are interesting to watch and have lots of personality, but the wife is wanting color. Also what are your thoughts on anemones. Are they worth having in the tank? Or is it better to get some torch coral for the clowns or something along those lines.

nwfd98

sorry i forgot to mention that we want to build a reef tank and currently we have two juvenile clowns. The tank is young but it is thriving with pods and all sorts of life on the rocks. Water parms are very stable and always in check.

Thanks everyone

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of great fish - I like peaceful ones - my requirement is they all play well together...

Nano Fish

Nems are cool, but require a mature tank 6-12 months old... and if they are not happy, they get up and walk to were they want to live, can be one of the negatives - unlike corals that pretty much stay where you put them

nwfd98

Well as usual i have another question for all of you. How long do all of you run your lights for? I am starting to have to clean the glass everyday do to a green algae film that forms. I would like to try and knock it back a bit. My CUC is doing its thing well on the rest of the tank sand and rocks are clean for the most part.