Aks reef

Akshay

So finally fed up of trying to host sps in my main tank, have decided to convert my fish only to a sps bare bottom tank.
Reasons :
Lots of softies
Big leathers
PO4...now under control but old rocks might leach PO4..
Algae...control measures on, but it's gonna take a lot more time..

First a few pics of my main tank...
20131027_193320_zps8c8f6c2e.jpg

20131027_193301_zpsbda12086.jpg

This is primarily going to be an experimentation tank.
The fish only was a 260 Ltr tank, but I have filled it to the half way mark at 130 Ltr.
There are going to be no fish in it, just sps and keeping that in mind there will be no skimmer.
I might add a cucumber for the detritus, but that's it. Mostly the system will be maintained with wc.
For aeration there will be a small waterfall/volcano at the corner, from which water will flow inside.
For temp control, there will be fans or a small chiller.... not yet finalized.
Lights are going to be the other major experiment, the cover earlier had 6 T5s which I reduced to 2 as there were only fish, now will be taking off the T5s completely and replacing them with a DIY small Led strip unit that I made.
Looks a lot more brighter than the T5s now.
So here are some pics.
IMG-20131029-WA0024_zps0c03112f.jpg

IMG-20131029-WA0026_zps95e7ab24.jpg

Akshay

Two tanks in one shot... :guns: No point doing a chronicle for both tanks...
Fish in main tank are healthy and the mating clowns need proper feeding, while the other one is going to be a minimal input system.

Akshay

The 3 xenias.... 2 of them are spreading, the third is not. Any ideas of how to get it going bonkers. I luv these pumpin xenias.

1. This one pulses and grows like a mat covering.. it is growing at a decent speed.
20131027_153522_zps703ced0c.jpg

2. This is a Blue Cespitularia and that is spreading too..
IMG-20131024-WA0014_zps6eec0a0c.jpg

3. And this is the culprit....it pulses, but no growth....it just grows as a stalk and as not spread so far.
The one time that it did spread, the mother colony died off & the one in the picture is one of it's baby shoots that's now grown.
20131027_153702_zpsbdfaaaac.jpg

Akshay

The SPS experiment tank.

Finished off making the lighting fixture..
IMG-20131102-WA0024_zps13e7c406.jpg

IMG-20131102-WA0026_zps44bda590.jpg

Finally decided to go with the chiller instead of the fans, just to reduce the variables for the sps tank. So today finished off the rock work for the trickle system .... right now it's just flowing straight on the rocks, but once the mini chiller comes, the pipe will go to the chiller and the cold water from the chiller will trickle down the rocks and back into the tank...
IMG-20131102-WA0041_zps8b6dbf3b.jpg

Akshay

Your thinking of the volcano tank... :snshne::fingerx:
Actually I think it is a crab that is causing all the problems with the sps in my main tank.
Saw one with hairy legs the other day in the main tank... but with the rockwork just cant locate it anymore.
Will be having some acro safe crabs for sure (already residing in them now), but doubt anything like the ones from the volcano tank.

Blue Space

Nice build. I bet you can hardly wait to get it filled with some very nice pieces. Nice diy ats! What light are you using for it?

Akshay

Yup will post pics alright, but the ats will take a few days for the first growth. I also have cheto growing below it.
The light is a 20w RGB LED flood. I am running it on Red.

Though I think my reduced feedings have helped me a lot.
Also because of that, now the Mata Tang has taken up grazing on the algae & there r mucho algae reductions.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very pretty pictures :) ....I'm confused as to what "Lendi Cloves" are? :fishy:
I do see a Vermetid Snail, wish I could get rid of them in my tank. They are out of control in my tank :(

Akshay

Even I did not know Lendi Cloves, I had thought they were Papaya cloves... but I think anyone with something different just prefers to come out with their own names for it. Looked it online and found names from Lendi, Liam, Glove, Papaya, Lightning Bolt, Sunflower etc... They are basically cloves (Clavularia sp.) with a green center & the colour on the tentacles varries from yellow to orange to red.
Guess the idea is the more exotic the name sounds the higher the price they can ask for it. :contract: :smack::jester: