AI Hydra 26 vs 52

mtreef

Hello,
I have a 28x24x72 reef, and am looking to make the jump to LED lighting. I was hoping someone with experience with the Hydra systems could help me out. It seems like I'm kind of at an in-between size. If I get 3 of the Hydra 52s, there will be some overlap, it may be overkill. 3 of the 26s seems like it won't be enough. Given the price difference between the two, I would do better to get 4 of the 26s, and get the coverage I need. Can anyone give me an opinion? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.

DaveK

This comes down to what you plan to keep in the tank. Assuming that you want to keep SPS corals, go with the Hydra 52's. It's unlikely to be over kill in a tank as large as yours. You need a large amount of light to really reach the bottom of the tank. Yea, I know, the Hydra 52 is close to double the cost what the Hydra 26 is.

LED light sources tend to send light more of less straight down, so you may want 4 fixtures even with the 52's. This will depend somewhat on how high you want to mount them above your tank. They will spread better if you mount them higher, but you'll get less light in the tank.

One nice thing about fixtures like the Hydra is that it's easy to start with 3 and add more as needed.

Just to give you an idea, I use six older Hydra's over my 125 gal reef. They don't put out the light that the newer ones do, so to get the coverage and light I wanted I had to mount them lower and use more. I originally started with 4 and added two more soon after. If I were doing it with the newer Hydra 52's I'd use 4, but this is because my tank has a center brace that would block a lot of light from the middle one if I used only 3.

While we are on the subject, you also will need a controller or director for the Hydras. Don't forget to include that in your cost.

mtreef

Thanks, DaveK. About the controller, that's the other thing that confused me. We are just talking about either the controller or the director (which go for like 80 or 100 bucks), right? Is that all you need? It seems odd to me, because for as much as you end up paying for the lights, the cost for the controller amounts to a rounding error--I'm not sure why they don't just include it...I guess for the ability to customize.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

sirrealism

Welcome. I use AI lighing over 2 of my tanks. I think the reason why the director is not just included is because AI offers a few different ways to control them so why pay for a director when you going to use a controller for them. I personally use the director on both and it does a great job. I havent stepped up to the full spec AIs as my nanos and pare of sole blues do a great job and grow high end sps under them. I think AIs are a great product and would suggest them to anyone.

I also have a 220 gallon sps/lps tank. I have 4 AI sol blues 8 inches above the rim of the tank. They cover very well. Par readings I get range from water surface aprox. 525 to 230 on the sand bed as read on a apogee quantum meter .The controller I have is very easy to use sunrise/sunset, clouds lightning very cool.

DaveK

Thanks, DaveK. About the controller, that's the other thing that confused me. We are just talking about either the controller or the director (which go for like 80 or 100 bucks), right? Is that all you need? It seems odd to me, because for as much as you end up paying for the lights, the cost for the controller amounts to a rounding error--I'm not sure why they don't just include it...I guess for the ability to customize.

One controller or director can control a lot of fixtures, so if it was included you'd have the price go up. The director lets you controll the lighting from your computer or smart phone. I settled for the controller, which has the same controlling functions, but you need to push the buttons on it.