Aearin's New RSM C-130 Tank

Rooprect

Aearin:
Wow, considering you have temperature and algea/diatoms yer not afraid to add more corals to the mix!! :)

With regard to heat/temperature. The following is from the Red Sea web site:

"For optimum conditions a reef aquarium should be maintained at a stable water temperature in the range of 24-27°C / 76-81°F – the stability of the temperature being more important than the exact value. Slightly higher temperatures can be tolerated for short periods of time as long as the change in temperature is steady and not sudden.
When the MAX is run-in, in an environment with a steady ambient temperature of 22°C / 72°F or below, no cooling is necessary. In an ambient temperature from 23–25°C / 73-77°F, the optional water cooling fan at the back of the aquarium will keep the aquarium water below 27°C / 81°F. If the ambient temperature is above 26°C / 78°F a water chiller of approximately 1/10 HP for Max 130/130D, and 1/6 HP for Max 250 should be used.
It is important to consider the ventilation in the room where the MAX is to be kept as the hood is fan cooled and expels the heat generated from the light tubes into the room. In a closed room without ventilation, the ambient temperature can slowly rise."

Sincerely,
Rooprect

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
as related to temperature

a chiller a nice addition, without one (I don't have one) you will want to run the rear cooling fans 24 x 7 & keep your homes ambient temp under 73f

30C - 86F is a bit high... but not terribly high imo, all my corals & fish thrive at 81-82 in my RSM 250 & did in my 130D at 83-84F

also get a good thermometer, the one I have that works best is a high grade food one, I have owned a 1/2 dozen & they all read a bit differently
If you want the best - get a Therapen(not cheap $99)
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

a good :read: Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

a partial extract...

The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7°F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4°F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4°F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76°F and 86°F, with the average being about 82°F.

Aearin

Thanks guys

Roop: The temp is spot on, it's pretty much a constant 28C it just means leaving the surface fans on 24/7 which isn't a major issue I can sleep through it. I've had a bit of a diatom bloom but it's under control, water levels are perfect bar nitrates which is a tiny bit higher than it should be but I'm dosing for that daily and doing water changes.

Aearin

Hi everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates recently but quite frankly my tank is embarrassing! I've had enough of the skimmer problems and i've contacted Red Sea for a solution. Hopefully gets sorted soon :/

Pat24601

Hi everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates recently but quite frankly my tank is embarrassing! I've had enough of the skimmer problems and i've contacted Red Sea for a solution. Hopefully gets sorted soon :/

I wouldn't worry about anything being embarrassing. I'd wager people's parameters aren't always quite as good as they say and many of us have had ugly tank problems. That's part of the hobby.

Aearin

Cheers guys and great post Nano.

I got a response back from Red Sea so giving something a go and hopefully it gets the skimmer working properly! Sharing incase it's helpful to anyone else experience problems.

Ensure the aquarium is running at the optimum water level and not above.

Using a plastic jug and storage bucket remove enough water to reduce the run level by 1cm below optimum.

Ensure the skim adjuster on the protein skimmer is set at its lowest position.

Remove the white air control valve fully.

At this point the skimmer may start to over skim filling the collection cup, allow the collection cup to fill 2 to 4 times before the skimmer settles, discard any of the water collected in the collection cup during this 2 to 4 fill time, DO NOT RETURN IT TO THE AQUARIUM.

The skimmer should now start to skim normally, in removing the air control valve you have increased the amount of air and reduced the amount of water in the skimmer body allowing a bigger expansion area in the neck of the skimmer body below the skimmer cup, this allows the skimmer to breath and increases the volume within the skimmer body for skimate to form.

You can now slowly return any removed water to the aquarium and top up with new salted water as necessary.
If after this process you continue to experience over skimming it is likely the aquarium has a very high organic content that is effecting the surface tension of the seawater. There can be many reasons for this including over feeding, the types of foods and additives used.

Your Max C 130 water cooling fans may need to run 24/7 to keep the aquarium in the desired temperature region of 24 to 28 C, another option would be to add a chiller to the aquarium.

I wasn't too happy with the last bit as i don't think the fans should be running 24/7! I think its the skimmer over heating but it's not the end of the world ey.

My tank was also leaning forwards ever so slightly as where it backs up against the wall it is on the lip of the carpet gripping rod. The tank water was leaning towards the front of the tank slightly and was about 6mm difference. I jammed some PVC strip under the front of the cabinet and now it's perfectly balanced. and it balances the height at the back allowing more water and dirt to be pulled through the comb.

I'll update soon with good or bad results :D

melvis

Useful info, thanks mate. Wouldn't have thought you'd need fans on 24/7 either, particularly as your lights (I'm assuming) aren't on constantly. My temp fluctuates from a relatively steady 26 degrees up to about 28, but hasn't gone much higher, even with the fans off.

Hopefully you get the skimming issues sorted mate.