Advice for attaching frags

I have a LFS and also a local friend where I buy coral frags from time to time (just starting out with my corals) and they usually come on small pieces of live rock. What's the best way to attach those small pieces of live rock to my existing larger pieces in my tank?

And if the solutions is an adhesive, please describe the process.

Thanks!

steved13

PREMIUM
Crazy glue gel, if you don't mind spending a little $$ I like the Ecotech CG a little better, it sets faster, but it's the same type of stuff.

Just put a glob on the frag and squish it onto the rock where you want it. As soon as it hits the water it will skin over, so you want to twist or rub it on the rock to break the skin, hold it still for whatever time is needed (about 15 seconds with the CG), and it should hold. If it doesn't hold just pull it out and repeat, you may have missed the glue to rock contact, not enough glue to get into the nook and crannies to hang on, but it will work. It's not a rock solid bond, you could pop it off if needed, so don't test it to hardily.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm glad someone asked this question before me.

CG gel is reef safe?

The guy I bought my frags from told me to get water weld epoxy at HD?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a hard time using epoxy for frags, but use it for rock work. I've used the coral glue and superglue gel with very good success.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm glad someone asked this question before me.

CG gel is reef safe?

The guy I bought my frags from told me to get water weld epoxy at HD?

Yes its VERY safe so long as you are careful about not applying so much you have excess and an overly eager animal comes to touch it. I've heard of "nosey" shrimp getting a leg stuck or a fish nipping as a ball of SG gel but the effects were short term.

I use PC Marine Epoxy for the putty portion.

DesertOrchid

I've used both putty and superglue gel. Both work well only thing about the putty is that it can cause your skimmer to go a little nuts foaming for a little while. Takes a while for the putty to set up so larger frags can slip and need propped up for a couple hours.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes I forgot about the "Skimmer" reaction LOL!

Using SGG and Putty together has worked very well for me. You get the instant "hold em up" of SGG and then after a short while you get the holding power of PUTTY! I think key to getting a good solid bond is pressing and twisting at the same time really pushing the goods into the rock knooks n crannies.

Say it after me:

Puuuuushhhh and TWIST!

PUUUUSSSSSSHHHHHH and TWIST!

PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and TWIST!

Now you got it :)

Super glue works amazing, if you're not clumsy and get it on the tank or the glass trying to get the frag into the tank ;) I've tried epoxy and it doesn't work quite as well. Seems to want to crumble a month or so later, and doesn't hold as well.

catran

I use both. Since rockwork is often rough, I like using putty to ensure a good hold. I only use aquarium epoxy putty though, the red colored one. It blends in better.

This is how I do it, you need to be fast though, but if I can do it, anyone can!
I sometimes try to use flat disks or cut the stem off of the plug, but it's not necessary.
I take out the putty and blend it (using gloves). When it's blended, I roll it into a ball and then press it down, putting a dimple in one side using my pinky. I pour a liberal amout of superglue gel and press it onto the plug. Then I turn it upside down and press another dimple in the bottom and put more sg in it and fast as lightning, I press it into place on the rock. It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I've had plugs come loose with sg only and this method has worked flawlessly for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikejrice

I use both. Since rockwork is often rough, I like using putty to ensure a good hold. I only use aquarium epoxy putty though, the red colored one. It blends in better.

This is how I do it, you need to be fast though, but if I can do it, anyone can!
I sometimes try to use flat disks or cut the stem off of the plug, but it's not necessary.
I take out the putty and blend it (using gloves). When it's blended, I roll it into a ball and then press it down, putting a dimple in one side using my pinky. I pour a liberal amout of superglue gel and press it onto the plug. Then I turn it upside down and press another dimple in the bottom and put more sg in it and fast as lightning, I press it into place on the rock. It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I've had plugs come loose with sg only and this method has worked flawlessly for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same way I do it only without the fast as lighting part. Glue/epoxy/glue holds like nothing else.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.