Additives

Chimo192

Good Day fine people.

As they say no question is a dumb question.

Who here if anyone uses additives in their RSM 130? Further more what additives do you use?

I know Red Sea has additives , but then so does Kent and other companies.

Just getting a feel for what we should be adding to our water if any.

Water changes are done using RO/DI water, and RS Salt mix.( LFS did not have RS pro coral in this past 3 weeks.

Daily top up are done using RO/DI water.

Cheers

Dave

lcstorc

With regular water changes you should need very few additives. Depending on your coral load you may need to supplement with a 2 part calc/alk solution and perhaps magnesium.
The real key is to not add anything unless you test for it.

Whipitup

Nothing.

I use Redsea Sea Coral Pro as it purports to have everything included that's needed.

So far tests have shown that the levels are fine (apart from Alk, but the reading is SO low I cant help thinking the test kit is duff)

Chimo192

Thank you all for your much valued input.
Its just that my LFS has not had any RS Pro coral in for a while.
Did not want to start placing a extra cost for additives, but if required I would.

Again thank you all.

Cheers

flynfish

I was using Red Sea Coral Pro and usually only needed to dose Alk ( almost daily ) , mag mabe once a month. I do 4-5 gallon water changes every week. I have a little of each kind , SPS, LPS, Zoas, etc. The last bucket of it that I bought was very low in alk, 5 dKh at best (tested with 3 different kits) and it had a very light brown discoloration that didn't settle out. So, I switched to DD H2Ocean 3 weeks ago. So far I'm very pleased with the numbers and the corals are responding in a good way, brighter colors, better polyp extension.

I've used both Two Little Fishes 2 part, and Seachems Aquavitro line, like them both.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I use RS Coral Pro and dose daily with a Kent 2-part, and a weekly maintenance dose of Kent Mg. I have a big Monti Cap that really sucks up the calcium.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Not a dumb question - the Kent Tech CB is a 2-part additive for Calcium and alkalinity. typically they're added in equal amounts, several minutes apart, to help keep calcium levels & alkalinity up in tanks with a lot of corals that consume calcium. Actually I plan on trying C-Balance 2-part, when the Kent solutions are used up. Same purpose.