Adding Ozone to a Reef?

Do you use ozone on your reef tank?

• Total voters

lcstorc

Since most of this is over my head (sorry) is the bottom line this.
Be careful with ozone since too much can be very bad
In the proper amounts it will make the water clearer and possibly reduce the organic load in the water.

Sorry, you guys went way over my head.

boozeman

basically yes, another weapon in the water quality arsenal (especially if you want to keep sps)
thanks everyone for an informative discussion :lurk:

RandyHF

Be careful with ozone since too much can be very bad
In the proper amounts it will make the water clearer and possibly reduce the organic load in the water.

Yes, and it can be bad for the aquarist and his family as well as the tank if not used properly.

boozeman

I imagine a leaky ozone generator would be bad indeed, especially for small children!
btw...thanks for dropping by Randy and :welcomera to RS!!!

billyr98

After all this reading.. I still don't think i am going to get an any ozone for my tank... Too Dangerous..

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thank you Randy!

:hallo:

billyr98 said:
After all this reading.. I still don't think i am going to get an any ozone for my tank... Too Dangerous..

If there was a plug and play ozone machine, I would get one.

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Jax

I don't understand is why buy an ozone generator that has a controlled output.

An added piece of safety. If the controller malfunctions the dial is set to point where it will not overdose the system. Yes, this has happen before to guys with no dial control. Last year this happen to a guy where is ORP was almost 600mv but he caught in time. I also do not like the idea of huge amounts of ozone entering a system in a single blast. Second, it will cause excessive bubble collapse if it is being injected into a skimmer. This will reduce the skimmate output and said collapsed skimmate will now end up in the tank and not the cup.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would love to do ozone now that i read all this but i have a child and am not seeing that i need it that bad. I made it this far without it and my uv dose a great job along with the carbon. Thanks for all the info boomer i'll keep it in mind for the future.
Im curious though, how dose it afect silicone?

lcstorc

Can you get an ozone detector like a carbon dioxide detector? That could assist with some of the safety concerns at least for the people in the house.

JaxReef

Boomer said:
Jax

I don't understand is why buy an ozone generator that has a controlled output.

An added piece of safety. If the controller malfunctions the dial is set to point where it will not overdose the system. Yes, this has happen before to guys with no dial control. Last year this happen to a guy where is ORP was almost 600mv but he caught in time. I also do not like the idea of huge amounts of ozone entering a system in a single blast. Second, it will cause excessive bubble collapse if it is being injected into a skimmer. This will reduce the skimmate output and said collapsed skimmate will now end up in the tank and not the cup.

Good point, thats bad stuff over 450mv

lcstorc

Thanks for the link but EEK!
That's a lot of cash. LOL I only looked at a couple but all were rather expensive. Guess I'm just gonna skip the ozone at least for now on my system. Seems like there is a lot to it and the dangers scare me more than a bit.
Thanks for all your help even though much of it is over my head. :)

Warnberg

IMO, it's not worth the it. I injected ozone into my skimmer for about 6 months, yes it makes the water a little clearer, but so does carbon, yes it does change a skimmers effectiveness (not sure if the change is good or bad). There are definitely pros and cons to ozone. In my setup it was just another piece of equipment that I had to maintain and I did not see any huge benefit from it. However there are others that use it and love it.

If you are interested I do have a complete setup with a red sea ozonator 400 I believe (it's the big one) with 2 dryers and an air pump.