Adding Ozone to a Reef?

Do you use ozone on your reef tank?

• Total voters

billyr98

well its another issue I am not too sure about.. I have read lots of good and bad things about this additive... Well I do not run it right now, but was thinking about adding this to my 210g tank system.. Do you guys use it or tried it?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
No I do not. I know little about and the jury is still deliberating on it.... Can't say "never'.... still watching and reading...

Witfull

works good,,,,but as everyone says,,,,effluent water and air must be treated with carbon and probes need to be kept clean.

^Bump^ is just raising the thread to the top of the list, so more people see it. Usually people do it, if they don't get a reply for a while.

Personally I do not use ozone, but I have considered it. Right now, I wouldn't use it on my needle wheel skimmer because Euro-Reef says that o3 will decrease the skimmers producting. Althought it might clear up the water, so it is a very open ended question.

Witfull

just talked to Boomer,,purigen is not a substitute for GAC for ozone. in case anyone wanted to know,,,like me~

Witfull

as the ozone oxidants ( bromine, chlorine,etc., created by the ozone) react with the carbon. This yields things like carbon oxide, chloride and bromide ( safe byproducts). Purigen is binder not a reaction media, where GAC is in this case.

Vanquish

I use ozone since my previous tank and I must say it's wonderful... clean water, messy skimmates... there are myths about the ozone killing you, but normally the ozone generators made for home aquarium use is never built to provide that dosage to knock you out, not to mention killing you...

If worried, get a decent Ozone generator like Sanders and it works tremendously well... I'm using a 200mg/hr Sanders and currently dosing between 75-100mg/hr 24/7, some would prefer to run it say 200mg/hr for few hours a day, normally when no one's at home ( to allay fears of ozone poisoning )

Have the ozone plugged into my skimmer to allow it to react with the water in the skimmer chamber and so far I've been getting good skimmates and the water is exceptionally clear! ;)

billyr98

Vanquish said:
Have the ozone plugged into my skimmer to allow it to react with the water in the skimmer chamber and so far I've been getting good skimmates and the water is exceptionally clear! ;)

neat idea with the skimmer and ozone, I really want to try this!

ReefDave

Bill, you forgot the button for "ozone is: something else to eat up electricity and take up another plug" for the skeptical jerks like me!