Do you use Active Carbon

• Yes

Votes: 103 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 22.0%

• Total voters

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
I run carbon ALL the time (24/7/365) just like Cartman. I don't know why anyone wouldn't. IF any of you "true" reefers out there change at least 10% of your water once a week; there is NO reason you shouldn't run it all the time.

For those of you who only run it periodically or when your water starts to turn yellow/brown in colour, you should consider the pros/cons of using carbon more often if not--nonstop. There are more pros than cons.

Yes, carbon does remove trace elements out of the water; BUT there IS no proof that alot of those trace elements are truly necessary for coral skeletal growth and as a matter of fact IF you change your water once a week like a good little "reefer" those elements are automatically replenished.

Yes, the carbon adsorbs which is what it's suppose to do will stop working after a given period of time and it will release those "metals or organic solids" back into the water BUT ONLY if the pH changes from one extreme to the other. In other words, the carbon will release the bad stuff back into your tank BUT only if your pH goes from 8.2/8.4 all the way to 6.5/6.8 which if that were the case you'd have bigger problems on your hands like DEAD FISH OR CORALS/INVERTS rather than activated carbon issues.

Carbon removes that bad smell of the tank water and solids; gives the water a nice clear pristine look (something we all appreciate in the end).

Truth...when should you run carbon? All the time.

KoolFish

Anyone using Chemi-pure now?

I was using Black Diamond carbon 24/7 (changed once a week) and switched to Chemi-Pure Elite. I had to try it since most people who did use it said it works great so all I can say is that the next day after I started using it my water was even more clear (I did not think it was possible) and by the end of the week any HA that was in the tank is now almost gone. Works great for me and hope it continues to.

Chris

prow

i run carbon sometimes. been using black diamond but thnking of trying chemi pure.

Basile

I hate to be a pain, but What I am realy trying to find out is what is the gain in using the active carbon? Thanks everyone for participating.

It clears your water, of excess particules, bacteria that clouds sometime the water, because some bacteria explodes with certain chemical in your water and cloud it. Carbon help eliminate these particule, and bacteria. Cloudy waters = bad lighting.

Luukosian

I work as a pest control technician and use all kinds of chemicals that have EXTREMELY TOXIC TO FISH right on top of the material safety data sheet....I always wash up really good before I stick my hands in the tank but I run carbon constantly just in case(carbon is listed on the MSDS to use if you contaminate a well with the chemicals to absorb it)

Too much money in my reef to take chances

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Why do you guys want to waste money on Chemi-Pure. It is just carbon and some ion exchangers which are about useless in seawater. Chemi-Pure can not even come close to ROX, thefilterguys, TLF Hydrocarbon or Seachem Matrix. Or mix Matrix with SeaChem's Purigen, which is much better than Boyd stuff.