Votes: 103 78.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 22.0%

• Total voters

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Witt

vortex filter

I could not have lived with out this filter :) But one needs to know what the are doing with it or Poof black water :lol:

Witfull

Boomer said:
Witt

vortex filter

I could not have lived with out this filter :) But one needs to know what the are doing with it or Poof black water :lol:
this is one of the challenges that brings one OFR status :)

fishcrazy

Activated carbons are customized for customers. Does this carbon list info like iodine #, molasses #, and the like? Does it look like gravel or does it look like uniform cylinders?

These things make a difference in effectiveness.

fishcrazy

It's important to use good quality carbon as there is a substantial quality difference.

carbon1.jpg

It's also important to use the correct type of carbon. See that all of the pelletized corals are shown as the least effective. That's because pelletized carbons are vapor phase carbons intended to be used in air as opposed to under water.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm

Warnberg

I run carbon just to polish the water when it looks cloudy, about 3 to 5 days a month.... dats it.

And So begins the great Carbon Debate.... heehhehe

cracker

Man Why I think of using carbon in a Vortex filter? I assume a carbon powder is more efficient than larger grain size so a vortex would be well suited . How does carbon and diatomaceous earth differ in what and how they filter the water? I assume the carbon absorbs and the diatom earth physically traps.

Last edited:

Boomer

They (a layer of diatom powder and a layer of powdered carbon) will filter it down to submicro levels. If you let it run to long they actaully go dead and stop pumping water.

cracker

Witfull said:
this is one of the challenges that brings one OFR status :)
I figured I could just load a vortex with powdered carbon and run it. But after mention of black water I'm not so sure.How would a person of OFR status load a vortex with carbon? Can you load a vortex with granule run it in a bucket to rinse or does a powdered form( vortex brand) work? Maybe load lightly with diatom earth then powdered carbon?

Boomer

Cracker

The safe way is load it first with diatom and then PAC. Loading/charging can be done buy using a bucket and adding the diatom to the inlet, once caked then the PAC. However, this can be tricky also, for as when you shut off the filter to move it to the tank the cake media will often fall off the filter pad. When you go to restart the filter some may go into the tank. To get around this we used a circulation value assembly, such has the one sold by Vortex called a recharge valve. You do as given above (bucket charge caking), then close the valve when caked, the water now just goes around in circles. Move the filter to tank, filter/pump still running and then when in place open the valves.

http://www.diatomfilter.com/products/p-29_recharge_valve.htm

Witfull

i run it once without the carbon as a clean up filter when needed, then about once a month with the carbon.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am considering replacing my magnum HOT with a Diatom XL. Are they difficult to prime? Specifically, when using it to clean a sump :rolleyes:

cracker

Priming and loading the vortex with the diatom earth is a little tricky at 1st. There are several differant ways to do it. IMHO using a vortex to clean a sump is over kill. they are designed to remove VERY small micron size stuff from the water. Better to use a micron sock to remove the sediment that collects in the sump. If i'm not mistaken a micron sock with the smallest weave doesn't even come close to what a vortex can filter.