Acrylic Help

kouma

Hello,

I have four pieces of 30cm x 70cm acrylic that I would like to glue together and drill with holes. I have two questions, can I use silicon to glue that pieces together? second, what is the best way to make holes without risking splitting or breaking the acrylic.

Thanks!

lcstorc

Wait for the experts but to bond acrylic to acrylic you use something called Weld on. There are different numbers for the different thickness but from what I understand it kind of melts the corners together or something like that.

kouma

Thanks for the replies. I checked local hardware shops like ACE and here they don't carry weld-on 4 of any weld-on products. Can I use a normal PVC adhesive to do the job. This will not be used to hold water, just act as a cage inside my fish tank.

evallarta1

Yeah it took me a while to find it. The easiest way is to go to yellowpages.com, type in plastics. Check the plastics & plastic products. Then just go down the list and call and ask. Your not going to find it at a regular hardware store. The other option is to get it online.

As to your other question I dont know if PVC adhesive would work or not. May work temporarly. But it may loosen over time. All the acrylic shops here in St. Louis said really the only thing that works well with acrylic is Weld On. If you do use PVC adhesive let us know how it goes.

razorvines

Has anyone tried JB Weld? It seems to be very similar to weldon but I am not 100% certain. I put a crack in my sump last night trying to slide it down.
Think I am going to try JB Weld since I can't find weldon anywhere around here.

jskess

The best source for acrylic cement(s) is TAP Plastics in San Jose CA.
All products are available on the web at TAP Plastics.
They also source any and every type of acrylic shapes, sheets etc and are a huge source of how to.
Good luck on your projects.
An old Tap Plastics customer (15 years)
jskess:eek:verhere:

REEFMAN1

Has been struck by the ban stick
I Was A Machinist For 22 Years. Did A Lot Of Acrylic Work. Are You Sure It's Not Lexan. There Is A Diff Even Tho They Look The Same. Lexan Is More Brittle. Anyhow I Used Endmills To Put Holes In Acrylic. An Endmill Has A Flat Bottom, Not Like A Drill Bit Which Will Grab And Twist Your Wrist Off. And You Can't Put An Endmill In A Drill Chuck. Use A Hole Saw. Drill Brom Both Ends, Have A Friend Drip Water On The Bit And Spin It S L O W... If That's Not Possable Then Have A Machine Shop Do It. Setup And Machine Time Would Be About 1 Hr., To Give You An Idea.

Hth
Michael