Acquired some old acrylic ??'s

cracker

Good Evening Folks, I have some old acrylic I found being tossed out. It was from an old sun room or something. I want to use this to build a sump. There is a section of it that looks crinkle /cracked maybe. It doesn't pass thru the entire piece. I can cut this out but wanted to know what You think about the integrity of this section?
I can give you a close up if Ya want. I figured I'd use this section for baffles. Honestly I don't want to build another plywood sump!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't see an issue with using that piece for a baffle. Heck you can use it for the sump too as it will have little pressure on it

cracker

Thanks , I can't feel any cracks on either side of it. I f I could use this section for the bottom, it would make the project a lot easier. Still taking a chance though. Or I can buy a another new spotless piece locally for 150$ !

Frankie

RS STAFF
You can try but it may be brittle from being exposed to sunlight.
Also it may not be cast acrylic but extruded. If so, it will leach phosphates into the water.
Honestly I would not use it unless you were 100% sure it was cast.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

cracker

Hello Frankie, I'm just south of Jacksonville Fl. I have no idea if this is cast or extruded. I'll look into the difference.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'm in Charleston South Carolina
You plan on going up i95 any time soon?

Frankie

RS STAFF
What size do you need what are the dimensions?

cracker

Hello Frankie, won't be heading to Charleston anytime soon. Iv'e been to Charleston years ago, very nice city. Thanks for the offer. I have the metal stand for the 75. I like metal stands because it gives one lots of room.I can fit a 45 by 15 by 16" sump under the tank. I have 2 sheets 48 by 48 of this old stuff for the build. If the thing leaks all I lost was time. The huge wetdry I'm using now as a sump is working, so whatever happens it will be ok. Thanks again!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'd be happy to meet with you on i95.
Your an old time RSer. I'd be happy to help build you a new sump and meet up with you. I need a project.
I have enough black cast to build a sump for that size setup. Pm me if interested.

cracker

Thanks for the offer Frankie but I need a project as well. Today I cut all the pieces for the sump using this old acrylic. I had enough so the shattered looking section will go for a baffle. Also Something interesting maybe. There was old latex paint around the edges. After trying differing stuff, I found vinegar softened the old paint enough where it was easily scraped off. The dimensions are 45 by 15 by 15"
Also thanks go to my friend Chuck who is a lot better with a table saw than I am!

cracker

so today I soaked all the panels with vinegar Rinsed it real good. It will work just fine for a sump. Also the shattered looking pictured, the shattering doesn't pass thru at all it is just on the surface so I'm not worried about it being structurally unsound.

Frankie

RS STAFF
It's not shattered, it's called crazing. It is caused from heat.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Or rather yet, the ultra violet from the sun.

Therapy

Can I interrupt this thread? As I have out of the hobby for 10 years. Frankie, could you explain the cast vs extruded phosphate issue? Or plz post a link to the discussion?

I find this interesting but still see people using rubbermaid containers which were known to leak phosphates.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awe man! I was just starting to enjoy this thread! Lol.
I'll dig up dome literature tonight when I get home and link it.

cracker

Ya Frankie, we want to know!:dunno:
Also got some pics of the taped box. I'll get some here later tonight.
" crazing" Iv'e heard that term before.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'm not into digging though all of boomers (chemist ) posts tonight. Hard day, but if memory servers me well extruded is softer, allowing a break down faster then cast. All plastics leach phosphate into the water. Some faster then others. Extruded is famous for promoting algae growth amongst expert reef enthusiast and is always frowned apon.
There is nothing on this God Given Earth salt water cannot disintegrate. Just some properties faster then others. It is why I build my sumps from glass now.